Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2015, 05:00 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When I refer to the Ford ESP I mean the plan sold By FO MO CO which is a extension of the original warranty. I would buy no other.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #22
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Richfaa

You are correct that one still doesn’t cover “normal wear” items like the brakes but will cover a computer but not most switches.

GM offers both the full warranty and the drive line only warranty that doesn’t cover the computers or electrical system.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I look for the items covered that will break the bank like a diesel motor.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There is a break the bank item as Rick knows, that probably won't be covered. The high pressure fuel pump. If dirt or rust is found in it no warenty will cover it. It's abuse and as such it's not covered. That is an $8000 repair.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #25
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

There is a break the bank item as Rick knows, that probably won't be covered. The high pressure fuel pump. If dirt or rust is found in it no warenty will cover it. It's abuse and as such it's not covered. That is an $8000 repair.
Lynwood
Lynwood

This is where keeping records of your service and using certified mechanics to have the work preformed is needed,

My local OEM dealer is very competitive in his pricing for service, most extended warrantees require you have the service work performed by certified shop no “do it yourself” service allowed.

Because my OEM dealer is competitive I have all of my service performed by him.

When it come to repairs it depends when they want $200 to replace a glow plug that they are working next to I do it myself. After all I am doing major repairs to the same model truck while volunteering at a research organization.

If you have records of proper service including the fuel filter change at the proper intervals they will not question the pump failure.

Phil P

Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I look for the items covered that will break the bank like a diesel motor.
Richfaa

You have the right idea extended warranty is not intended to cover your normal wear and tear maintenance.

In my case when the truck gets enough mileage on it that I have to check the oil between oil changes I purchase a new truck.

However this truck may out last me. A friend of mine that uses his for commercial hauling just purchased a new one and was a little upset that the dealer wouldn’t even consider taking his old one in trade citing the mileage of 600,000 miles.

Phil P
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 AM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Phil I was at my dealer 3 or 3 years ago. They had a truck that the HPFP had went out. Ford required them to send pictures to check for dirt or rust. If ANY was found it would not be covered. Rich ask his dealer and his dealer said it was abuse and would not be covered. I watch these truck forums. Several guys have had their HPFP go out any time rust or dirt has been found the repair has not been covered.
Lynwood
Old 08-04-2015, 03:23 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What mlh says is true most of us know that and the problem is usually caused by water in the diesel fuel and that is stated in most extended warranties and by the manufacturer. However if it is clean it is replaced and that has occurred many including here on this forum.

All of my Maint is done by the book by a Ford Dealer. We purchase diesel fuel at high volume locations to lessen the chance of water in the fuel.

What the manufacturer is saying is simply.. We did not cause the problem the fuel did and the station is at fault.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:25 AM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I just wonted people to know that things can happen to your truck that may not be covered by a warranty. I'm not saying don't get an ESP. It's yo money. I have chose to go a different route. I removed the DPF. Got rid of the EGR and replaced the fuel filters with 2 the size of gallon jugs. One is a 10 micron the other is 2 micron. And they catch a much higher percent of the water.
Lynwood
Old 08-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #30
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I just looked at the fine print in the policy I had copies of because I helped a friend recover his cost when a claim was denied. The failure will be covered provided the service intervals have been followed and the work performed by a certified mechanic / shop. This was a 2009 F350 the OEM was claiming fuel contamination with gasoline.

Now to further qualify my truck and the ones I am maintaining have a very sophisticated fuel monitoring system. In the event of water ingestion the system notifies you with a red light indication. The requirement is to stop shut down the engine and call for road service if road service doesn’t have an ASE mechanic on duty the call a wrecker and in accordance with my previous document statement have the receipt for the last fuel purchase with mileage on it.

The key to this is having the service performed at the interval advised by the OEM. The red light indicates an immediate service interval not drive it to the next exit or the nearest shop

In all probability if you follow this procedure you will not have any damage to you injection system anyway. I have the drivers tell me often “I only drove it to the next exit”. I then tell them they just spent $6,000.00 to avoid a $200.00 wrecker bill. This is more common on an over heat than a fuel contamination problem.

By the way I just did a pump change and back flushed the injection system on a 2005 Duramax for $250.00 in parts a month ago and the truck is still running. The OEM or independent shop will do all the injectors as well and charge a labor rate around $100.00 per hour that is where the high cost comes in.

Phil P
Old 08-05-2015, 03:50 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well stated PhipP Understand the terms of the warranty an have the service done by the book by a qualified serve facility in my case it is a Ford Dealer.
there is water in fuel light that comes on in my 08 Ford and our local Ford dealer told us that if that light comes on stop the truck and do not move it under its own power . We also check that valve under the truck every month for water in the fuel and we never let the tank get much below 1/2 tank of fuel.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #32
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We purchased a private owner 2008 F350 April 2013 and also have the ESP Ford plan. It's good Ford dually however major issues were covered by regular and ESP warranties. Smooth so far. Never had extended plans but this one has served us well.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote