Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2015, 05:24 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
New King Tailgater = total disappointment

We have had the original Dish Tailgater for about 3 years now and the darn thing actually performs rather well, no complaints. Our new 3440RL has dual satellite inputs one for the bedroom and one for the dinning room. I was so excited to hear about the new King tailgater. It has dual outputs, there was my answer to my satellite wiring concerns. Received it a couple of days ago and was excited to see my new toy. The initial setup for the main connection is identical to the original Dish Tailgater. No problems with setup, actually a little better signal strength, according to King Controls the new King Tailgater has a slightly larger dish, which doesn't hurt. Now for the AUX to the bedroom. States to do a check switch, ok did that, then moved to doing 1 of 38 for the switch which can take 20 minutes or more. System timed out. They blamed my Dish receiver. Never could get to the point of downloading the single program guide for which ever satellite the main is on. If I would have gotten it to work, each time my wife would change the satellite she would have to go through the 1 of 38 check switch routine, then download the new single program guide. Needless to say I would not even ask the wife to do this because I wouldn't waste my time. I'll just keep the original Tailgater and use the New King Tailgater as a single antenna. I talked to King and told them how disappointed I am in how they built this. They didn't seem to be interested in my opinion.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
No manufacturer ever wants to hear about their poor product performance.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

No manufacturer ever wants to hear about their poor product performance.
Quite true with some companies. However, I bought a bike carrier rated for 50 lbs...went through three of them carrying a 40 lb bike, they all bent after about 1,000 miles. All three were replaced by the dealer for free. He offered me a fourth, I said thanks, but no thanks, and sent a tactful email to the manufacturer. He said there were some improvements to the carrier and sent me a new model, without charge.

Delta Bike Racks http://www.deltacycle.com/
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Could never get my King Flex (original big brother to the Tailgator) to work and their support was useless. That's why mine went back (twice!) and I ended up with a Wineguard, actually two of them. One is dedicated to the bedroom, the other is split where LR on primary and Basement on secondary. This way we are both happy she can watch anything regardless of what the other tv is tuned to.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Just a FYI on the tailgaters and any portable Dish Net antennas. According to a Dish Network Teck, the portable antennas are not capable of doing a Program up date on there own the only way to really get a true update is to call Dish and have them send a signal to your receiver after you have the signal set up. I was also told that if I wanted a antenna that will download all programs guides, I must have the Parabolic dish with the HD LMB's (3) of them. they mentioned that if I hooked the receiver to my home antenna it would program all the up dates, which I tried and the receiver did exactly that what I was told it would do. so that's the facts. now when I load up the trailer I disconnect the Trailer receiver and hook it up to the house system a day before we go on a trip it saves me a lot of frustration when setting up camp.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Tailgater. Totally happy with it. Pug it up cut it on choose state a few minutes watch TV. I haven't tried the new one. Thanks for the warning.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Just a FYI on the tailgaters and any portable Dish Net antennas. According to a Dish Network Teck, the portable antennas are not capable of doing a Program up date on there own the only way to really get a true update is to call Dish and have them send a signal to your receiver after you have the signal set up. I was also told that if I wanted a antenna that will download all programs guides, I must have the Parabolic dish with the HD LMB's (3) of them. they mentioned that if I hooked the receiver to my home antenna it would program all the up dates, which I tried and the receiver did exactly that what I was told it would do. so that's the facts. now when I load up the trailer I disconnect the Trailer receiver and hook it up to the house system a day before we go on a trip it saves me a lot of frustration when setting up camp.

You got someone who told you partially wrong. My winegard carryout and my winegard traveler update the guide as soon as they lock on to the satellites it's the local channels that you have to have Dish send to your unit. That's probably the same for Direct although I've never had Direct. Dish says it's an FCC requirement so that we can only get locals from where you are.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

You got someone who told you partially wrong. My winegard carryout and my winegard traveler update the guide as soon as they lock on to the satellites it's the local channels that you have to have Dish send to your unit. That's probably the same for Direct although I've never had Direct. Dish says it's an FCC requirement so that we can only get locals from where you are.
Call them up and ask them Dick.
I'm also well aware of the Local broadcast and how it works with Dish, and the FCC requirements for local broadcast which is 250 miles from the zip of the registered address, anything past that is bat wing time. been a customer since 91 I had Direct TV before that.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Guys, I didn't want to start any arguments here. I guess I am confused. My original Dish Tailgater does update the program guide for what every satellites we are locked in on. With Dish Network its 110, 119, and 129. If you have them all it updates for all, so I am not sure what the debate is here.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
no debate Bob all is OK, I just came back from a trip and this is what I was told by the dish rep, most of the time my Monty is in storage, and it will involve a signal to be sent to my receiver to wake it up and then get a update for it to operate properly. and once my carry out is calibrated it works fairly well. I have found that as the agent said hooking it up to my home dish antenna it does eliminate all this programing procedures by many steps.
I never get hot under the collar over any topic I post or anybody else's post, I input what I think is right and if I'm wrong so be it, I've learned something new.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
DQDICK
OK I'm wrong on my information about the programing of the receiver with a tailgater or other portable satellite antennas. after talking to another agent this is the way it went.
If I'm going to reprogram the operating system on the receiver I have to use a parabolic dish with HD capabilities.
The carryout will program the Guide for viewing.

TT2