Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
More on Tank Failures

The Young's have posted their problems to date. We were at the C.W Saturday as we were curious as to what the problem and the fix was for their tank failures. We asked many questions.

The tank did not fail. The inlet pipe had not been properly glued at the factory and it leaked when full from day one.

There is nothing holding the tanks in except the plumbing. The lip of the tank sits on the angle iron support. In this case there was enough left to right movement of the tank to shear off the inlet plumbing.

The tech installed a flexible pipe at the inlet and installed a bolt at each corner of the tank drilling through the lip and into the support thereby preventing any left to right movement.

Supporting straps are not installed by Keystone .We have a call into Ameri Kart the tank vendor for the spec's on the strapping.

We learned a lot and will apply it to our tank repair.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
I hope this information will somehow get to Mark and Steve at Keystone so it gets down the line....
Old 03-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
everything we do gets to both of them.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Good, it would be great if this problem could be fixed on the assembly line once and for all.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
On my 2011 3150RL, the front tanks lay side by side long ways with the frame. The drain valves are to the rear each feeding to a Tee and then a 90 degree angle ftg right behind the drop frame on over to the dump fitting for the sewer hose. As mentioned there is an width-wise angle towards the middle of the frame that the mounting lip of each tank sits on. There are 2 small really lame pieces of angle that are screwed into the angles that sandwich the lip on each tank. Under each tank and under the corrugated plastic belly pan, there are two 1.5" U-channels width ways screwed to the bottom of the drop frame. Both of my tanks more or less sit right on top of these U channels. It came from the factory this way ... it wasn't a mod.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:03 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Same as above on my 2010.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
dieselguy. If you are saying that your tanks could not slip side to side that is interesting information.. Perhaps the issue is confined to the Youngs model only or they were not properly installed at the factory. I do have pictures of tank installation taken on the assembly line at the last rally. We will examine them closely.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #8
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
So let me get this straight. We are now thinking perhaps the tanks are not failing because of quality( of course that could be improved), nor because of the lack of strapping(that certainly could be added) but rather the fact that on some installs they could shift from side to side causing failure at the solid connection points. Is this correct?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The manufacturer suggest strapping. We did have tanks that failed because of tank defects. Cracks and splits. We are reporting what we are learning and the Young's slipped side to side. That all do is in question. If anyone has done a tank install perhaps they can comment on the slip side to side issue. As for strapping a gallon of water is 8.333 lbs multiply that by tank capacity. They do bulge when full Could that weight pull the inlet pipe out???? Would it be a better install if strapped.?????
Old 03-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Rich ... on both of my tanks there are two @ 2" pieces of angle on opposite corners that are screwed into the angle that runs widthwise from frame rail to frame rail. The mounting lip on the tank is sandwiched in-between They are pretty lame, but they are there. Most all the weight of my tanks is supported by the U-channel underneath. On the rear, the common discharge tube from both tanks that passes thru the rear of the dropped frame assists in preventing side to side movement as the slot in the dropped framework is only big enough for the main discharge tube to pass thru before the 90 directs the waste to the hose connection on the curb side.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:22 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
dieselguy... How about the inlet.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:29 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Rich ... the inlet pipes just pass thru the flooring and are glued to the fittings atop the tanks.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:54 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Rich ... the inlet pipes just pass thru the flooring and are glued to the fittings atop the tanks.
That is were their problem was. First the Inlet pipe was not properly glued and it also sheared off according to the repair tech because the tank was able to slide side to side. I was there I saw it. I am trying to determine if the tanks can slide side to side a bit or if this is a issue confined to that model only or a improper installation at the factory.

The repair techs fix was a flexible hose at the inlet and one bolt at each corner to keep the tank from slipping. We have two tanks to be replaced and want to do it right. Sounds like your installation is OK.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just putting this out for conversation ... no matter the model, I'd bet the tanks in a dropped frame Montana are sized and positioned the same. I'd also imagine perhaps the inlets are different due to the floor plan. Now how they were actually laid in and hooked up depends on the luck of the draw on the assembly line.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree Dieselguy. Every little bit of information helps. When you order a tank they ask for. Make, model, year and type of tank. The tank the youngs ordered came with in inlet and outlet holes already in the tank. I asked the tech if that is the way they always came and he said it was.