Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Clink clink under the fridge by the fuse box

We're camping at a C. O. E. park not far from home. Just said goodnight to the kids, who are sleeping in the front lounge. As I passed the fridge I heard a distinct clinking sound like propane tanks clinking. It's loudest by the fusebox, which is under the fridge. I opened the cover and saw a green light blinking. Called hubby to check it out and he said, "It's fine. Green means it's good.". Couldn't tell me what was good, but he went to bed unconcerned.

Any ideas?

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Blinking green means the converter is charging the batteries, the rate of blinking indicates the rate of charge at that time. That is good....

Having experienced descriptions of noises made in my wife's car, the washing machine and so on it is difficult sometimes to know exactly what that sound might be like to us men, we seem to hear things differently. The clinking does not sound good, there very well might be fan noise from the converter fan or fans if it is at a high rate of charge, but clinking is different than a fan running. I suppose it is possible that something might be touching the fan blades.

A much closer inspection is in order to determine where this noise is coming from. Keep us informed at what you find.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Thank you. I'm glad I know what the blinking green light is now.

I do know what you mean about trying to figure out a noise from a description. The clinking noise really does have that propane tank sound... Almost like air bubbles clinking in the tank. But hubby said the tanks are further up front, so it can't be that. The fridge should be running on electric, otherwise I would wonder if it's the propane running the fridge. We're plugged into the 50 Amp outlet and I checked the mode. It's reading AU/AC. The clinking noise seems to have stopped now. huh.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Well I heard the noise again. I think it may be a fan blade clinking. Hopefully it won't do any harm before we can get it checked out.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I'm wondering if it is just the heat/cool cycle of the fridge operating. These units use heat, whether it is from electric or propane, to generate cold for the system. What you may be hearing is from expansion of parts warming up and then again as the unit cycles and cools off, kinda like when you turn your car or truck off, and you hear clicking or ticking as the metal cools.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

I'm wondering if it is just the heat/cool cycle of the fridge operating. These units use heat, whether it is from electric or propane, to generate cold for the system. What you may be hearing is from expansion of parts warming up and then again as the unit cycles and cools off, kinda like when you turn your car or truck off, and you hear clicking or ticking as the metal cools.
That's a definite possibility. I can't tell if the sound is coming from the fusebox or fridge. Or maybe the propane line going to the fridge?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Could it be a vibration in the refrigerator and that's your wine bottles clinking together? The noise does seem to be coming from the fridge...
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

Could it be a vibration in the refrigerator and that's your wine bottles clinking together? The noise does seem to be coming from the fridge...
Well, it's not a sharp clinking like glass bottles (and no wine in the fridge at the moment), it's more of that propane clink sound, like when you rap on the metal tank with something metal? Argh, I'm wracking my memory trying to think in what situation I've heard that sound coming from a propane tank before!

Also, the sound seems to be coming from just below the fridge. Our fridge is set about a foot and some above the floor with the fusebox set in the wall below the fridge.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
As the fridge may also be the source of the noise, you might want to take the bottom cover off the fridge on the outside when it is making the noise and see if you can hear anything away from the converter. The bottom of the fridge is where the burner for propane operation is and the heating element for the electric operation. They can make a noise as the metal heats and the Amonia moves around in the coils. This might isolate the fridge from the converter enough to make a determination.. No moving parts in the fridge other than two fans in the top compartment that will only come on when it is very hot in that part of the fridge, this is behind the upper door if you have your fridge in a slide.

Maybe you have a couple of squirrels using your wine glasses to make a toast at the confusion they are creating in there...

Good luck

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote