Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
bennettommyd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12931
Valve Stem Extenders

Got a new 2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD DWR. Getting to and checking or adding air is an adventure. The holes in the snap on wheel cover are too small so you have to remove them. Once I get the extensions I plan the change to metal valve stems and have the tires balanced with everything on. Any recommendations on valve stem extensions?

bennettommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Tom, Not sure what your wheels look like, but, on my '12 DRW RAM Laramie I have Alcoa Aluminum wheels with small holes. The outer stem points inward and the factory mounted the DRW wheels with the stems facing each other.

I removed the wheels and reinstalled so the stems are 180 from each other.

I went to a large truck tire shop. There is a metal cap that looks like a regular valve stem cap, except you air thru it. I installed 6 of these. (my inner dual had a 2" plastic extension that I removed) (the cap is basically a 1/2" extension made of metal. Used on 18 wheel trucks)

Caps look like this http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/nor..._valve_cap.asp

Next, buy a tire gauge with the head that is straight, not angled like most. I can check and air now all 6 with out removing any caps. I also bought the air chuck that is straight. You can find both at truck stops and at parts stores that deal with truck stuff.

Looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S986-Se...pressure+gauge

Hope this helps. Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's the tire gauge I use even without a dually. Its larger size makes it hard to lose it or misplace it and that's more important to me. At my age, I'm always forgetting where I put things down. Its larger size sure helps me find it once again. I check the truck tires, trailer tires, passenger car tires and all spare tires weekly, if not sooner. I'm for making it easier to check since I do it so often.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote