Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
right artificial hip

Dislocated it about an hour ago sitting in the ER now.

tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
YIKES! How did you do that? Hope all turns out well and for a quick recovery!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Prayers for you Tim.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You have our prayers!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Quite a day, first a tree down blocking the driveway, second, 32d wedding anniversary, and lastly the right hip dislocating. Just turned to go up the three steps from the garage into the house and the hip went kerchunk kerchunk. With that I sat on the step and tried to figure out what had actually happened. Realized the hip had popped out, called 911 and gave them the facts to include the downed tree. EMS got here while neighbors were cutting up the tree. Got to ER and they tried to reset there with no luck so had to go up to the OR where they really knocked me out and got it back in place. Am now wearing a knee immobilizer for the next two weeks so had the cancel the camping trip to the mountains we were leaving for on Monday. All in all, back home and thankfully no surgery required.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
GREAT!! I've got 2 of them damned things! My right one now, every-once-in-awhile will squeak as I turn and pivot on that leg. Sure glad you're going to be OK!!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad to hear it turned out as well as it did.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Tim,

I also had a hip replacement.

I'm curious, did you have a posterior (rear) or anterior (front) incision?

Hope you are doing better now.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I also had both hips replaced. Was done 3 years ago. They were done 4 months apart. I asked the Dr. about the saying not to cross your legs, dont cros leg to knee and tie shoes and Dr. said that was old instructions. Said after about 8 weeks to do what ever I could was comfortable with. Said the new hip sockets would not pop out. Right hip done from the rear and left hip done last from the front. I was 70 years old, 5' 10" tall and 250 lbs that did not help the quick recovery at all. First 3 or 4 weeks at home were spent sleeping my over size recliner. Still take it easy on stairs and using a ladder. Also stopped playing ball with the grandkids.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Tim,

Both hips done in "02" and incision on rt is about 8 in and left about 5 in. Both appear to be posterior. Doing fine now, but walking like Peg Leg Pete with the knee immobilizer strapped on from ankle to mid-thigh. Hope my birthday tomorrow fares better, hitting 70.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tim43

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Tim,

Both hips done in "02" and incision on rt is about 8 in and left about 5 in. Both appear to be posterior. Doing fine now, but walking like Peg Leg Pete with the knee immobilizer strapped on from ankle to mid-thigh. Hope my birthday tomorrow fares better, hitting 70.
The reason I ask, is that I have heard there have been problems with the posterior operations with the hips dislocating.....or at least that is what my surgeon told me when they installed my Smith&Nephew hip. Most likely they are learning more all the time, I'm glad I accidentally had the anterior operation.

I hope you continue a speedy recovery.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Glad to hear it was not worse. Hope the healing process is fast.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You didn't exceed the weight rating of that hip, did you?

I think it's mostly humorous or ironic that you bundled your 32nd anniversary with some unfortunate mishaps. Well after 32 years, I hope DW was able to help you through this, as they say, "for better or for worse". It's a bummer you had to cancel your trip but at least you'll have plenty of firewood to take with you next time unless your helpful neighbors kept it all. Got Wood?!

Here's wishing you a successful and speedy recovery and this becomes history. I had no idea the options and complexities with hip replacements. I do think this would still be better than living with a bad hip or two and now I know some possibilities and the frequency. Thanks all for the lesson, folks!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
[quote]Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

You didn't exceed the weight rating of that hip, did you?

Nope, and the hip wasn't a GY Marathon by-product! Have gone down to 200# since it was put in and at 6'2" the axles should have held up as well. Doing great now, except for the knee brace which can be bothersome. Will get the good to go checkup on the 10th and head to the mountains in mid-August.