Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Gives shooters a bad name

I am getting over my cold...finally, so I thought I would go climb a mountain, I got to a good spot to park the truck and found some slob had been shooting, a family, I am guessing, 9mm shells, tons of shotgun shells and co2 cartridges. They left all the stuff in the pictures I cleaned up for them. I have mixed emotions on my hopes to run into them when they are doing this, maybe I don't want to find them doing it. This is the second time I have cleaned up after them..if they are the same people, and I think they are. I don't want to get shot..or go to jail, but if I run across them it will be hard for me to keep my mouth shut. I doubt I could get Sheriff Joe out here in time. Anyway, here are some pictures. I cleaned up a second site on the way back out to the road also.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Ozz, the first thing that was drilled into my head as a young boy on a shooting range was pick up your brass. It continued to be so in the Army, as a LEO and
when hunting ducks in a swamp, those four words always rang out. I wasn't the one that left that mess there but I want to thank you picking it up on behalf of
those of us that do shoot and pick up after ourselves.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
I knew you were a well rounded guy. You not only hide stuff in the desert but pick up stuff as well. Thanks for doing it and I recommend not approaching groups like that alone. Call in an airstrike first.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks for picking up after some doofus that can't take responsibility for his own messes! It does make the rest of us look bad! It is like those dog owners who don't clean up their dog messes! UGH!

Sky the same thing was drilled into my head! I was also taught to not throw litter on the ground, spit your gum into a trashcan, AND clean up after your dog so it makes me mad when I find others not following basic etiquette! BTW...I hate picking up the 9mm...they are so dang tiny!

Thanks again!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks guys and gals...Carol, I confess the 9's are still there...somewhere. I ground the clay pidgeons into the ground with my boot. There were hundreds of broken ones scattered around.
Good advice Mike, I like the idea of the Airstrike...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, Just call 1-800-SENDADRONE, then run like the devil is after you..... Actually, thanks for helping to take care of the planet. After the latest landing on Mars, we seem to be the only game in town.........Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We alwys picked up our brass because we reloaded.there are unthinking folks everywhere.If Rv'ers these folks would no doubt park at Wallmart, put the slides, awning out and have a bbq.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Where we stay in Morristown there are 3 areas where people go out shooting, and shoot at everything you can imagine and then leave it lay. The 2 closest to where we stay I have cleaned up the last 2 years. I use a rake with a couple of the rare earth magnets to suck up the shotgun shells and other steel cases. The brass I picked up at one stop was right around 750 cases of 45, 40, and 9mm. Was time for bengay after that. The 22's were just to many to bend over for. I have boxes of brass that I have collected and someday will get back to reloading. It is this kind of irresponsibility that will get the land shut down.
Thanks for doing your part Ozz.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Probably the same ones that throw trash out the window driving down the highway.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Hey guys some people have class and some dont'....We do, they don't

BusyCarol you are right, those 9's are to dang small....I kinda prefer the bigger 45's and wouldn't leave home w/o it.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's not just on your side of Phoenix. We've picked up the mess twice on our side. Both times it was in areas I wouldn't have considered safe. Why, when their shooting into a rock wall, doesn't the likely result happen to them?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
The 45s would be easier to pick-up Sky but unfortunately the gun is a little too big for my hands, a little too heavy, and a little too much wallop!!! The worst wallop was my dads British Lee Enfield 303! I hated that thing! Bruised my shoulder through the pads on my shooting vest! I used to have a Glock 24 9mm! It was perfect! Fit my hand like a glove! The only thing I didn't like was the lack of a safety...well it had one but not a normal one if you know what I mean!

You are right DQDick...why doesn't Murphy's Law or physics ever touch the morons?!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
We have a walking trail from our home that connects with the fire- break road, we encounter messes somewhat like Ozz ran into, but not that bad, usually empty shotgun shells, and boxes. It's too bad some of us cannot clean up our messes. Shopping carts left in the parking lot annoy me almost as much .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
There is a BLM shooting area north of town that was almost shut down. People were taking televisions, refrigerators and all kinds of junk to the site to shot up and leave. The BLM finally announced that if it continued it would be posted no shooting. I went up there once and wouldn't go back. It was the wild west. Guys with six packs pointing their weapons every direction and shooting when you tried to put targets up down range. You would think some would become darwin award winners but no luck yet.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
While at Q Dixie Dawg and I went shooting over at Bouse at their nice little range. We policed our brass afterward and headed back to Plamosa Rd. All the way back and down 95 into Q There was trash on both sides of the road. I can't believe what pigs some folks are. I hope the remaining campers decide to do a little trash policing before they leave. Oz, we have sorted 60 barrels of yellow brass, white brass, steel and aluminum, along with a few thousand shot shells. At the moment I think I can pick out and identify about 30 different calibers just by looking at them. The staff spends a lot of time picking up brass on the public portion of the range. Policing your brass is required at the education center. The brass we sorted has been sold as scrap and that is 60 barrels weighing between 600 and 800 lbs each. Those funds help finance the whole shooting park..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
One time when I was standing in my BILs front yard, we heard shots and bullets flying over our heads. The idiot down the road was shooting into a pond from his deck and the bullets were ricocheting off the rock walls and spraying the neighborhood. We rode over to tell him what he was doing and he started to argue with us. I thought my father-in-law was going to shoot him.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
One can only hope the offenders become winners of the Darwin award. Makes you wonder what their home looks like.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Where we live it seams some can carry a full beer can up the mountain but can't carry an empty beer can down the mountain. Strange!?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #19
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
X2 on the air strike.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #20
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Hummmmmmmm...seems to be the culture to me, not the weapon.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote