Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Remington 700BDL pre 1964 was my all around big game hunting rifle for many years and is now in the care of my Number one son. Dead center bull at 300 yards not a problem.(when i could see)

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Kevin Is your Swift a No 1 or a 77V? The Swift is a great cartridge but I have never owned one. They got a bad rap because people didn't know how to load for them.
35 years ago I built a bolt action. One friend gave me a barrel off of a 222 40 XBBR and another gave me a stock off of another 40 XBBR so all I needed was an action so not being able to afford to buy one I made my own action. I chambered it for a 22-250. The barrel was 20 inches long and the gun very quickly got the name The Flame Thrower. It would shoot under 1\2 inch groups at 100 yds. Not great but OK for a free gun.
Lynwood
It's the #1. It did take a little experimentation, but now, it's perfect. We had to slow it down a little bit. over 4000 fps it gets a little finicky. Plus you may burn the barrel out .
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have never seen the sign at the fall rally that said no guns in 6 years of rallies/Where is it???
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #24
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Have several 700's. Best is a 223, laminate stock, Leupold scope, Jeweli trigger set at 8oz. Best shot so far- pop can at 774 yards
kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The Remington 700BDL pre 1964 was my all around big game hunting rifle for many years and is now in the care of my Number one son. Dead center bull at 300 yards not a problem.(when i could see)
Hey Rich,

I haven't done any hunting, but I went ahead and got the 700 Special Purpose Synthetic in .308 in case I do end up trying it down the road. I hear you on the vision, my far-sightedness is corrected pretty well with contacts, but then I can't read - guess it's time for bifocals

By the way, I was offline for a while - how's that new Big Sky treating you??
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kjansen

Have several 700's. Best is a 223, laminate stock, Leupold scope, Jeweli trigger set at 8oz. Best shot so far- pop can at 774 yards
\]
That's some good shooting Keven!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Kevin I love the No 1 Rugers. I didn't think there were any single shot 77S. My brother has a No 1 in
22 PPC. It is a very very rare rifle with the nicest wood I have ever seen on a No 1 and Ruger saves their best wood for the NO 1s. I have a 78 Browning falling block I got after a friend's passing. I have never fired it. If you are ever in western Va on I 81 plan on spending a few days and we will go grown hog hunting. Bring your Swift and I'll take my 78 and my 22x47 custom.
The Jewell trigger is the best trigger ever developed. Almost all bench rest shooters use them. I know Arnold Jewell well. Arnie is a real charter a true American original.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I'll have to look you up someday. I find it very ez relaxing out in some field picking off hogs.

kevin
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

I'll have to look you up someday. I find it very ez relaxing out in some field picking off hogs.

kevin
I just saw something on TV about the trouble in Texas. This one company had started up a helicopter business taking people up and having them shoot the hogs from the helicopter. I doubt I'd ever be able to time that shot right!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Seahunter, I also have a 700 BDL 22/250, the green booklet that came with your 700 tells you the proper way to brake it in also. there were many other good sugestions on how to also. as for sighting it in I started at 50 yards and moved out 25 yards at a time until I was at 100 yards with a tight group. have fun with your new 700.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Since we are talking about accurate rifles let me tell you something all bench rest shooters know. Most scpoes after they have been shot some will go BAD. You will be shooting and a bullet wont go where it should have. It will be out of the group 1\4, 3\8 inch. Then the next one will go in the same hole or will go back in the original group. This will happen 2 or 3 times. If you haven't missed a condition change, your scope has just went BAD. It shot good one relay, then the next one the scope went bad. You change scopes, the rifle goes back to shooting again so you send the scope back to Leupold. This is why all serious bench rest shooters have at least 2 extra scopes with them, that have just came back from Leupold. They will buy a new scope take it out of the box unwrap put it back in the box and send it Leupold to have it checked out. These bench rest rifles only move about 1 inch when shot free recoil, wonder how many scopes are good on the big mags. I would guess almost none. The Nightforce and other expensive scopes, I would think do better but the Leupold and less expensive scopes, I wouldn't bet they still are good.
Lynwood
Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:

I have never seen the sign at the fall rally that said no guns in 6 years of rallies/Where is it???
Rich, it is on the gate as you go in
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #33
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Since we are talking about accurate rifles let me tell you something all bench rest shooters know. Most scpoes after they have been shot some will go BAD. You will be shooting and a bullet wont go where it should have. It will be out of the group 1\4, 3\8 inch. Then the next one will go in the same hole or will go back in the original group. This will happen 2 or 3 times. If you haven't missed a condition change, your scope has just went BAD. It shot good one relay, then the next one the scope went bad. You change scopes, the rifle goes back to shooting again so you send the scope back to Leupold. This is why all serious bench rest shooters have at least 2 extra scopes with them, that have just came back from Leupold. They will buy a new scope take it out of the box unwrap put it back in the box and send it Leupold to have it checked out. These bench rest rifles only move about 1 inch when shot free recoil, wonder how many scopes are good on the big mags. I would guess almost none. The Nightforce and other expensive scopes, I would think do better but the Leupold and less expensive scopes, I wouldn't bet they still are good.
Lynwood
I have to date never experienced this. I've been shooting for years. Don't get me wrong i have had scopes i didn't like, but never inaccurate scopes. I've had shots leave the group but only after running a rod through the bore. I have used Leupold scopes for years without issue. I do know you can spend a lot more money on a scope for things like resolution , clarity, range compensation etc. I'll have to talk to my buddy who i a competition bench rest shooter and get his take.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

Hey Rich,

I haven't done any hunting, but I went ahead and got the 700 Special Purpose Synthetic in .308 in case I do end up trying it down the road. I hear you on the vision, my far-sightedness is corrected pretty well with contacts, but then I can't read - guess it's time for bifocals

By the way, I was offline for a while - how's that new Big Sky treating you??
Big Sky is doing well...No major issues.Since most all of our hunting was in the mountains 300 yards was a shot you hardly ever got 50 yards was a long shot.In fact 20 yards was a long shot.Sighted in at 300 yards I pretty much knew where the round was going along the way.My hunting days are over and my shooting is restricted to the range.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Quote:

Rich, it is on the gate as you go in
Well..... I never saw it...Sign..what sign...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Kevin who is your bench rest buddy? I know lots of bench rest shooters. Most of them use my reloading equipment. Ask him if he has a Harrell's powder measure and see what he says.
These scopes don't go bad and shoot off a inch or two. It's more like a quarter inch maybe less. Something you would not ever detect on a normal rifle. It's like a friend ask me one time "How do you know when you are shooting a good group? When the hole gets blacker" I don't of any off the shelf rifles that will do that. A friend Ron Hohen called last summer and ordered 40 rimfire tuners. He had been to a center fire match and shot an agg of .172. Thats less than 3\16 inch average group for 2 days shooting with 2 guns 200 shots in all. I said good shooting Ron. And he said "It must not have been I come in forth."
Lynwood
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #37
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Yes your right, my buddy Chuck has all his rifles made from scratch. And yes when we shoot I'm usually very happy shooting my swift with my near perfect reloads. and he's trying to shoot all his rounds through the first hole, and almost doing it. I really don't feel right naming names, but, Chuck shoots with a guy named Roger.

kevin
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 AM   #38
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yes Kevin these guys have the good stuff, Bat, Borden, or Kelby actions. The Bat is the best right now. The best stocks are made of California red wood with 2 carbon fiber strips through then. The bench rest shooters like soft wood stocks because they are dead, they don't vibrate.
A lot of than are going to March brand scopes at $2500 each. A lot of them will buy 10 Barrels at once. They are close to $500 each installed. They use the not so good ones for practice the good ones for small matches and the best one for the big matches. The nice thing about what I do for a living I get all of this nice stuff free or almost free. I have $4000 guns with $500 in them.
Ask Chuck what kind of Powder measure Press and dies he has.
Lynwood
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #39
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Wow, I believe I just found a sport that is more expensive than racing!! And thats doing some serious stuff right there!!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #40
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It probably isn't more expensive than racing. A lot of the guys that can't afford it will find a way to make some money in the sport to support their addiction. Some sell stuff some become gunsmiths. Some of the best gunsmiths in the country started out buildings rifles for their selves. Look up bordenrifles.com, jarrettrifles.com. Kenny Jarrett builds rifles for a lot of the people we all know. George Bush, Hank Williams Jr, Chuck Yeager, Dale Jarrett. Most of the people I deal with are average working people, lots of Doctors, Lawyers, Nascar's France family. I get a few ultra rich, 3 billionaires. One guy bought 4 billion dollars worth of 747 airplanes. Not all of these people are bench rest shooters but they all love the smell of burnt gun powder.
Lynwood

Lynwood