Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
So you want to carry concealed

Another well written topic for those that carry

http://www.usacarry.com/7-common-mis..._source=normal

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I carry every day, almost every where I go. I say a prayer every time I holster it that it will not be needed. Thanks for posting the article Allen, it is very well written and should be read and understood by all that carry a deadly weapon.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks for putting the info out. It's amazing the things folks don't think about in advance.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good article.Here in Florida near Disney world (firearms are not allowed on Disney property and I work at Disney.)So I am always aware of were I am going.In warm weather where shorts and T shirt are the norm it can be sort of Difficult to conceal anything.IMO this is a violent area, drugs, home invasions, robberies.There have been shoot outs in wall mart parking lots.Last winter I missed one by less than 15 Minutes. we are sort of removed from that and most of the violence is drug related and the bad guys killing each other. We are always on the alert.We feel uncomfortable if we do not have a firearm on us or very nearby.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B800S20121209
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fauch, not sure what your message is in posting without comment. It is a tragic incident to say the least, but it has nothing to do with responsible, trained, safety minded, Licensed Concealed Carry citizens. If one is not willing to take on the mantle of responsible training, don't carry.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Fauch, not sure what your message is in posting without comment. It is a tragic incident to say the least, but it has nothing to do with responsible, trained, safety minded, Licensed Concealed Carry citizens. If one is not willing to take on the mantle of responsible training, don't carry.
Agree....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Not sure weather J Loughrey had CC permit or not. Posting the article was nothing political or about my position on personal defense with the use of firearms. I simply thought that it is a good addition to the OP about ALL of the responsibilities, tragedies, and dangers that come with the increased exposure that comes with hauling a gun around everywhere you go. I have a close friend who shot his son in the head with 12 gauge 00 buckshot at 4 feet away while hunting. I carry everywhere i go, BUT NEVER when my grandsons are with me. When they are at my house everything is in a safe. I would find it hard to believe that a gun store owner would not have opened the breach on this gun while he was inside trying to sell it. If they did not, THEY were irresponsible. Then so is he, if he did not open the slide when they handed it back to him. He told police he had removed the clip, but did not realize there was a round chambered. This gun was also pointing in the direction of his son if only maybe for that instant. A sixteen hour class does not bestow anyone with magic dust and accidents can always happen.... FAST
To each his own on how we minimize risk to our loved ones when it comes to firearms. I personally will never have guns in the vicinity of my family at certain times. I have a personal position of when i believe having a gun accessible is safer than not.

Oh yes, the friend was a 16 year Marine, and some of this time as a sniper in Viet Nam
Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree with you on most points and thank you for clarifying. The training I mentioned would well exceed the 16 hour quicky for licensing. Training is continuous. Deadly force is not to be taken lightly or casually.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
PEOPLE ASK WHY?
Why Carry a Gun?

My old grandpa said to me 'Son, there
comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts
bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take a
whoopin.'

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep
from being killed.
I don't carry a gun to scare
people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary
place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm
paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the
world.

evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in
the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the
government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of
government.

angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life
hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to
shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my
bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a
cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a
cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel
like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves
and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I just 'feel'
inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate...

I don't carry a gun because I love
it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it
meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.Free
citizens must protect themselves.

Police do not protect you from crime, they
usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call
someone in to
clean up the mess. (Average 911 response time is 4.5 minutes. What
will you do for that period of time? If someone is trying to break into your house, do you realize how long 4 1/2 minutes are? Use your egg
timer and find out. Set some obnoxious hard rap song at your front door, and time it, no cheating please

Personally, I carry a gun becauseI'm
too young to die and too old to take an "ass" whoopin’ . . . . . . . . . . .
author unknown (but obviously brilliant)
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Sorry but that Father is still responsible for what happened. Gun courses will train you to shoot and train you in safety, but one thing you got to keep in mind "it don't matter if he thought that gun was unloaded or not" Not one bit, because you NEVER point a gun loaded or even if you KNOW it is unloaded at anyone, because you ALWAYS treat all guns as a loaded weapon. Many people have been killed by "unloaded" weapons. Myself when showing my guns to someone I will rack it open, look into the chamber not once but a minimum of twice if not more before I hand someone else my weapon to look at. Accidents will always happen but there are too many preventable accidents that should have never happened and this is one of them. I really feel bad for that Father.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
People ask me why I carry a gun....

I tell them because Police are too heavy.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Packin in California? It's almost impossable to get a CC permit here. the way I see it is Training and more Training, learn your weapons sweet spot on the range, then hope you dont ever have to use it on another.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We just got our CCWs in Wisconsin, the classes I recommend to anyone getting their ccw in Wi. Wi has been off and on again about training for CCW. We took a two day course and a whole day of shooting. The main course was not just about gun safety, it covered all the information on what you will have to go through IF you draw that gun. Not shoot but just draw and you can get arrested if you don't have your ducks in a row. Shooting your weapon brings on a whole additional barrel of problems and they try to explain these problems to you before they develop. A very good course and I hope the non-resident CCW class we are getting ready to take here in Vegas is as informative..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Excellent points steelpony.
This thread was not started as a way to justify carrying a weapon. It started as a message about the responsibilities that go with that decision. Loughery may have had poetry about the reason for carrying guns framed and hanging in his living room; and he may have had a wallet copy. Justification and reason for arming one's self is not the point here; it's about helping those who chose to use guns, understand ALL of the risks and tragedies that can come with that decision if we are not totally aware 100% of the time. You cannot take back a bullet.

And I guess another reason that has me sensitive about this, is the number of people I see getting concealed Carry Permits. I know many who have had no prior experience with firearms.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
That is one reason when I lived in Pa. that I quit going hunting, tooooooo many people out in the woods that came up from DC or Pittsburgh etc that got brand new rifles and don't got a clue as to gun safety. It boggled my mind the number of guys that would shoot at rustling bushes, just what did they think they were shooting at and how did they think they would hit the right spot. I agree in some states a CCH class is just a formality and does not teach people what they really should know about how to handle a weapon. But all the preaching in the world will not change peoples attitude towards a weapon that will cause them to handle it differently. I feel that respect has to be taught at a young age and they grow up knowing how to handle a gun. I hope I have instilled the same respect for a gun in my 2 kids that my Grandfather taught me.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #18
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
When my father started taking me and my five brothers into the woods (one at a time of course), what I remember most was his rule about where my gun was pointing. Loaded, unloaded, disassembled, it did not matter, if the muzzle was ever seen pointing toward people, my gun was taken for the rest of the season. Neighbors houses next door were as off-limit as someone in the room. Guns were stored in vertical cabinets. This instilled such a religion in me, that a gun barrel is respected as lethal, whether loaded, unloaded or disassembled.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #19
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Is it really necessary to actually carry a concealed (or other) lethal weapon 99.999% of your waking moments for that .001% of the time when you may feel threatened by someone who may or may not be armed and who may or may not use the weapon? I just don't understand the thought process behind this mindset. Human nature is not a fully stable state under some conditions and I personally feel threatened by someone carrying a weapon all the time for "personal protection"! Please don't get offended by my comments folks but there is another side to this controversial subject and while with this post I have just contributed to the discussion, I don't think the MOC forum is the place for gun discussions.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #20
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Fauch---I just wish everyone was taught the same mindset when it comes to weapons.

Moutard2--Where can you find this place you are not threatened anymore? Surely not in a movie theater, at work, or a resturant, or a high school, or just walking down the street or even in your own home. The sad state of affairs is there is no where you can go that you are not threatened. When you travel you can get into trouble real fast. In my town I eat at a resturant that 15 people lost their lives back in 95, it's just a reminder of what can happen. I respect your wishes of not liking the fact that people carry weapons, but in a case like this resturant or the theater in Co. it sure would have been nice had someone been carrying, just maybe more folks would have been here today.