Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Ground Fault resets

Does anyone know where the ground vault reset would be for the outside electrical plug located on the right side of a 2010 3455SA? All I could find was information stating the most ground fault resets are in the kitchen or the bathroom....niether of those were thrown..so I'm guessing that there must be at least one more somewhere.

Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Sky,

We have a different model than you, a 2008 3075RL, but we have three with resets. Two in the kitchen and one in the bath. We also have the washer/dryer hookup but can not find any on that outlet, which is where I thought one would be.

On our unit all the outlets that are protected have a sticker on them and I assume those outlets without are not protected.

Also on our unit we have replaced all three of the ground fault units. Keystone must have made a cheap purchase of them in our model year. If I remember correctly one was not tripped but still shut part of the system down. Dealer did not understand how that could happen.

I am sure someone with your model will be along to give you a better answer.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In my 2006 3500RL I know of two GFCI outlets. In my floor plan the one that is probably connected to the exterior plug is the one in the living room next to the sofa. Many of my outlets are labeled with the "GFCI controlled label" but don't say which GFCI resetting outlet it is controlled by. The other GFCI is on the lavatory wall in the bedroom.

I might have more but I haven't located them yet.

I took a look at your floorplan online and yours might be by the dining table since you mention it was not the one at the lavatory/bedroom. You have a much newer model than I do, you might even have some in other places like the "basement" storage area.

Let us know what you find. Take care.

On edit: Dean, I believe my rig has the W/D closet on its very own circuit, which I discovered during some electrical debug. It is connected to its own 20A circuit breaker in the power distribution panel.

btw - I replaced a GFCI in the lavatory once before because it reset and would not recover. Then the problem occurred again. I found it was the actual 15A/20A circuit breaker in the power distribution panel even though when I buzzed it out, it looked okay. A clue here is if you have a problem GFCI, that might not be the problem. If the GFCI trips and resets, then something else triggered the failure. Sometimes these problems are not so obvious.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
We had to replace all the GFCI in our unit. It was more of a problem with the way the wires are run in the recept. They were loosing contact. Anyway I put better ones in with no problems since.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I would also turn all c/b's off then back on. Some c/bs will trip and not show it. I had this happen in a house that I was call to because the gfi circuit did'nt work. Might be worth a try if you have't done it. Good luck.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Check the basement outlet for a GFI, I seem to remember there being one there when we looked at the 2010s last fall... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Thanks for all the help...I really appreiciate it..so far I haven't been able to find the probblem. But I will keep working on it. With my luck it will be something stupid and simple right in front of my face and I haven't spotted it yet. Again thanks for the help and I will let you know if and when I find it. Some of your advice I haven't done yet but will shortly.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Sky,
Pull one of the recepts out of the wall and test it to see if you have power to it.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Well it is now working....don't know why. I re-set all three ground vaults, and then turned all the circut breakers off and back on...somewhere in between
doing all this the outside plug started working again...Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You might have the problem I had. I thought the GFCI was bad and even replaced it since it would not reset (one indication of a failing GFCI is the inability to reset it). And in doing so turned off circuit breakers to replace it. Several months later, it looked like it failed again, but this time I replaced the CB and problem has gone away. It turned out the circuit breaker would not trip so it looked like it was on, but current was not passing. In turning them on and off it looked like I had fixed this when replacing the GFCI.

When the CB started to fail it finally would not allow any current through it but still not trip the breaker. This is not a great way you want a circuit breaker to work but at least it failed to a power off condition. FYI - the CB that failed was the 15/20 combination CB in the 110V distribution panel that controlled the bedroom (15a) and the Microwave (20a). It turns out the GFCIs were fine and it was the CB starting to fail. Now, since I bought a multi pack of GFCI outlets, if anyone needs a GFCI outlet I have plenty.

Sky - now that things are working correctly I would locate which CB is affected, in case that is the failing component. If the GFCI doesn't reset, there is a chance a failing CB is not allowing the current through it even though the CB has not tripped.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our outside outlet has a gfci breaker switch.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Steve- my outside plug doesn't have a gfci breaker switch and that really surprised me..
Art - that's good advice and I will do as you suggested...thanks again
Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sky, I was wrong. I went out and looked. Our 2003 3295RK had it on the outside outlet but this one does not. It is GFCI protected but I think it trips the little breaker on the switch by the sink in the bathroom. My mistake. Sorry.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote