Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Montana remote control system

We just took possession of a 2010 Montana 3150RL and it is equipped with the Lippert Remote Control system. This system controls the landing gear, rear stabilizers, awning, slide outs and outside lights from a small hand held button pad. Problem is it doesn't work. Or at least I haven't figured out how to make it work. I followed the instructions for programming but only the outside light feature will function. Everything else is dead.

Does anyone have this feature on your units? If so what's the secret? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Kevin,
We had a similar problem with our system. First, replace the battery in the handheld remote. We troubleshot the system and believed it was the receiver. When we took the rig in for warranty work, the service center confirmed our diagnosis. We are now awaiting a new receiver. Here is a link to the reset procedure, I know you said you have already done this but there are some other troubleshooting procedures there too: Remote If this doesn't work for you, then I would be contacting your dealer. Hope this helps.
Jack
Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
And that is the reason we didn't go with the remote system on our Hydraulic jacks and slides. Just read of so many problems with the remotes and how they eat battery's. I agree they are very neat, but if I set the 5er down any faster that I do, well it takes less than 10 minutes from spotting on site until we are level and the slides are out. GBY.....

We can add the remote system anytime, our 5er is already set up for the remote system.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Did you turn the receiver on? The switch is in the panel on the side of the trailer where the manual jack switch is. It only activates for about 15 minutes.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Well now, that did it! Thank you all. I went to the web site provided and printed out the instructions. The dealer told me how to program the remote but never said anything about turning the unit on first. I read through all the literature/owners manuals but nothing there said anything about turning the receiver on and off. DUH! I guess I should have figured that out myself. Anyway, the system seems to work flawlessly now and I thank you all for your help. I hope I can reciprocate sometime.

Wishing you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Kevin
Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Glad you got it working. I love the remote for hitching up. I can adjust the highth without leaving the drivers seat. Also, handy for raising or lowering the landing gear and stabizer while putting blocks or walking around the camper.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Joe Wakeman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9349
Let me tell you about A friends remote experience.

We are heading out early one morning in the dark and a pouring rain, him leading and I following.

His trailer started shooting sparks which quickly turned into a shower of sparks. He had unknowingly laid the remote where the button could be depressed lowering the rear stabilizers down onto the highway at 60 MPH.

By the time we got stopped the support arms of the stabilizer was bent, the pad had dug into the rain soaked road shoulder and the motor was still pushing down the arms.

We unhooking the trailer so we could than unhook the stabilizer and tie them up to the bumper.

Did I mention that it was raining quite hard during all this and we became totally soaked.

Burnt out the motor and the control card. This fellow has also sheared the front legs shear pin now twice using the remote.

I learn from others misfortune, so now I can not find my remote and am not looking for it.
Joe Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Joe, was your friends RV a Montana? As previously stated in this thread, the remote system times out after a few minutes for this very reason. Something must have malfunctioned.

I too love the remote system especially for hooking up. Ours has worked flawlessly.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Gosh, we have 5 remote controllers and can't find the right one when we need it. Now you say Montana supplies yet another one that we can lose and not be able to put the awning up, the landing gears down or get the truck off the trailer?.....Think I'll wait to purchase a new Montana until they get the mental telepathy remote-control figured out....that may not work either with my oncoming CRS.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
WOW! That does not sound like a fun time. I guess we all need to learn from experiences like this one. I do like the idea of the remotley operated functions but I will definately be careful that something like that doesn't occur. The ON-OFF feathure will be put to good use.

Thanks all, and Merry CHRISTMAS to ya.

KT