Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
Delamination of the Fiberglass

We have a 2006 2955RL. The sidewall below the refrigerator and also the area above the storage compartment on the same side, have areas where there is delamnation of the fiberglass. We contacted the dealer. In a few weeks we are headed in the direction where the dealer is located and they will take a look at it. The said they have a way to reglue it. We were wondering if anyone else has had problems like this? Thanks. Silverbird

Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We have the same problem with a couple of small spots on the drivers side of the Monty. I have not looked into any repair options yet so I will be interested in the responses to your post.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had this on our 2001 Montana and took it to Fox RV in Middlebury, IN. They did not reglue. They cut out the bad spots and put in new fibreglass. They did a beautiful job on it. If the dealer insists on re-gluing I would recommend you get a written statement saying if that does not hold for xxx years then it will still be considered under warranty for a proper fix. I have some doubts about the re-gluing but perhaps the technology has improved. Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have a bubble on my passangers side of the rig. The dealer just took pics and sent it off to Keystone. The dealer couldn't explain why it would be popping out in the middle of the rig half way up the wall. I will let you know what they tell me.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Silver, What have you found out? My spots are getting smaller with the colder weather. I have no idea why but we have not heard back from the factory.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Phil-- I'd give Keystone a call. While at the Fall Rally we heard of numerous dealers saying they called Keystone about a problem but Keystone never got the call. Just something to think about!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
We had the dealer take pictures and send them off to Keystone. We have been in touch with the dealer and they said we need to deal directly with Keystone. We called Keystone and they said a dealer had to repair it and they suggested dealers in the area. We called the dealers and they will not touch it. One said they tried to repair one and they should have never touched it. The spots do get smaller as it gets colder. When the sun was beating on it this summer they were really bad; it was in various areas. We are wondering if the whole wall will eventually let lose. I guess for us, we at this point, would not buy another Montana. The money we put into this one and this is happening only after 3 years and no one seems to stand behind it. Spend less money and then it won't be so disheartening when it starts to "fall apart"!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sounds like it is coming back to the dealers, AGAIN. Those that know me and my rantings, will know that I don't have much faith in dealers. Some are good, but, many, well, ARE NOT!

I would call Keystone back and tell them, NO DEALERS around here will do the work, and sweetly ask them, what can you suggest now?

Don't give up. It is very discouraging, for sure, we understand, but, don't give up toooooo easily!

Keep us posted.

On edit, I note you live in Minnesota, that is NOT that far from Goshen. I know, not at this time of the year with the "S" word in the weather forecasts, but, Goshen is very nice in the spring. Just a thought.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
Yes, you are correct we are not that far from Goshen and you are right about that S word. We had our first snow in southern Minn. today!!! We seem to have bypassed fall this year!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Okie Guy, on our 2001 the bubbles were part way down from the top, just outside the shower. Any chance you or your dealer caulked the bottom of the shower surround walls? I had our dealer do that because I thought the factory forgot. Wrong. Fox RV told me they are intentionally open to allow condensation (from shower heat) to escape. If you close off that escape route it finds another -- through the wall where it loosens the glue and causes the bubbles. It can take awhile for it to show up.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote