Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Cracks in MorRyde rubber--a problem?

I was checking out my shackles under the rig yesterday and noticed cracks in the rubber of the MorRyde equalizers. The cracks run fore to aft on each equalizer. They are only about 1/8" deep--give or take. Here are links to some photos of the cracks.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2z7qum0.jpg[/IMG

Is this the start of something bad, or is it nothing I need to worry about?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
David, Check this site, Bill

http://www.morryde.com/pdfs/New/7LRE...nersManual.pdf

Sorry, I don't know how to make it a clickable link.
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Oh boy, another thing to check. Just finished fixing some other problems. I sure hope I don't have this one too. Really getting tired of failures.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess that's the bad news of upgrading suspension parts. Those parts can have their problems, too.

From the documentation, it looks like if the cracks are 3" long and 3/4" deep then it's time to replace it. What's the other side look like?

You might be okay for a while if you are at 1/8" deep. But you might want to be prepared to order one or two to keep on hand for when it's time.

Check the deflection, because if this is bad, then it's already bad.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
David,
Your coach is 2 years old? How many miles are on it?? Seems like the Mor/ryde should last longer than 2 years without cracking and requiring it to be replaced. Now i am wondering if this should be a yearly check item before it totally fails.
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If this were my rig I would be calling MorRyde for their expert advice. I'm not doubting what the MOCers may have to say about this situation but for me complete ease of mind can only come from the manufacturer. I don't want to critisize the members but this is a safety issue and IMHO only MorRyde can satisfactorily answer this question.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
MOR/ryde tech support is great. Consider calling them. Have your pictures ready to send. Additionally, I would take a shot of the side of the equalizer so that they can get a perspective on how your rig is setting.

When my rubber spring delaminated, the shackle and axle spring eye was touching my frame. MOR/ryde has had a few of the rubber springs delaminate. That causes total spring failure. They sent me a replacement and, if I had been near a service facility, they would have done the work, but since I am not, they significantly discounted the wet bolt kit to me. So I did the work myself. The MOR/ryde rep at the Spring Rally inspected and complimented my work.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
David, That is a great picture. Here is contact info for the service manager of MorRyde in Goshen. I would suggest contacting him and probably send photos. He is great to work with, tell him I said hello, he will treat you right......

Ben Wiginton
MOR/ryde International Inc.
1966 Moyer Ave
Elkhart, IN 46515
(574) 293-1581 x219
(574) 294-4936 Fax

ben.wiginton@morryde.com

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote