Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
HUH??

I have recently noticed that due to the rains we have been getting, I have been experiencing spin when I take off from a stop light or stop sign if the pavement is wet. Seems to happen most often on asphalt. Now, I know what all of you are going to say. But, as you'll recall, I said it has been happening recently. So, got to looking at the Michelins I have on this thing and done some research. First, have noticed some cracking taking place on the side walls down close to the tread. Looked up old records and McCormick Motors in Nappanee put these tires on new in August of 2008. Since then, I have put 57000 miles on these tires. So, I guess due to time, they could start to show signs of dry-rotting before I wear the tread off.

Said something to wife yesterday about needing to put new tires on the truck next spring. Her immediate response was, "We are not putting new tires on that truck"!

HUH??

What does she know that I don't? Am I going to have a very nice Christmas this year?

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Sounds like your new tires maybe under a newer truck
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Maybe she's been looking at used tires on ebay.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Best way to get new tires is under that new truck. Did I mention they come premounted and balanced
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Well Guys, all of you have valid points and I wouldn't put any of those suggestions past her! However, I like yours the best, Dick and KOLCB!!! After 38 1/2 years with this woman and the fact that she recently retired from a major player for heavy highway and bridge construction in Indiana and Michigan as the equipment division office manager and her accounting skills, you can bet she has something on her mind!
Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
you seem to be lucky. you have a wife that will justify a new truck for you.:-) That is usually a conversation you never want to start with the DW.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMD

Well Guys, all of you have valid points and I wouldn't put any of those suggestions past her! However, I like yours the best, Dick and KALB!!! After 38 1/2 years with this woman and the fact that she recently retired from a major player for heavy highway and bridge construction in Indiana and Michigan as the equipment division office manager and her accounting skills, you can bet she has something on her mind!
Well you never know previously working in that business, she just might come home with a set of road grader tires, try to spin them baby's
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dale, maybe she wants a new truck that's going to match the new Montana! You know, colors have to go together!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
When my wife says that (and she does) on a topic I bring up about spending money on projects on the truck and/or camper she means it! No hidden agenda - unless Walmart has a sale on something...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dave, you have the truck I want!

Steve, if anything, it most likely be white. All-though paint is really nice, I will probably get the standard graphics. I would be p----d at myself if I scratched the paint along the gutter because of a low tree branch. And, with me that would be highly possible!

Montana3800RE, this girl is smart enough to know that will NEVER work because, I would not be able to hook up her Challenger to this truck.

racerjoe, I am indeed extremely lucky! She totally understands the world of finance and value. She knows when it is time to upgrade while something still has worth without taking a beating. As I have mentioned in these forums before.......I know on which side my bread is buttered and that if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have a pot to pee in!! Just as simple as that. It has always been a team effort!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sorry Dale. That was the last 2013 GMC 3500 SRW D/A sitting on a lot anywhere in Mich (Maybe other states?). My dealership in Gaylord did a search. They had to go get it in Grand Rapids. There may be some 2013 Silverados though. The 2014s were just coming out, so I was able to get a really great deal on this one. It is a "moose" of a truck with those 18 Inch wheels. Feels like you are driving a semi down the road... Even with running boards it is difficult to climb in.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dave, I know where there is a '13 Denali in burgundy. At least, a couple weeks ago it was there. Oh well, when the wife gives the word that we are shopping.........I might have to order what we want.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's OK Dale. The 2014s are really nice too... Take your wife to a GM dealer and let her sit in a 2014. She will be sold...
Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
My dealer sells both the Silverado and Sierra. Right now, he has 2 left over '13s. A Silverado LTZ and the Denali I mentioned. He also has several '14s, too. All 1 ton SRW. Most of 'em with the Duramax/Alison. But, might just have to order me a new '15!!

BTW, she was on this computer this morning looking my truck up in the Kelly Blue Book! She yelled at me and said, "your truck is worth $2?,???.00 if I sold it to the guy down the street." What the ffffffront door is she up to?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
If you leave your tires at 80psi when not towing, they tend to wear in the center of the tire, thus causing that spin. When I forget to lower rears back down to 60 after a trip with fiver, the slipping on asphalt is my wakeup call.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
bennettommyd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12931
Well guys all this talk about new trucks. Yep got me one and it was her idea. 2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW, 6.6TD, Metalic Moca color, Tan interior and all the bell and whisles. I have added AMP Research electric retracting steps and their bed step (cause I'm short), color matched linex bed liner, Pullrite ISR Series Super 5th - 16K and a Back Flip bed cover that folds back when I'm towing. I've only towed locally just to get the feel of the monty and check the level when towing. I love it and can't wait till our first trip at Thanksgiving.

Now I do have a question. I went to check tire pressure on the rear duallys, what an adventure. Does anyone with a dually have the valve stem extenters installed?
bennettommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We have a new 2012 Dodge Diesel and it sits up higher than our old 2000 dodge truck. Even with the step bars the old truck was nasty to get up into and I am tall (5'10") for a woman.

I insisted upon having the AMP Power Steps installed on the new truck and I can't say enough fabulous things about these power steps. Find someone who has them and try them out. Heck, if you are on the west coast near us, come try ours. You'll be sold. Anyone challenged by height, knee, hip or back problems will definitely be impressed how easy it is to get into/out of a truck with these. (AMP really should be paying me a commission as everyone who has looked at our power steps has installed them on their truck).

They might still be sold with the free light kit that lights up the steps each time a door is opened.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote