Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Onan Generator

We are thinking about installing a generator and looking at the Onan 5500 for a few reasons. One, I like the idea of remotely starting the unit before getting to the destination in hot weather. Two, I like the idea of having a permanent installation. I have a few questions:
Am I missing anything buy having 2 portables such as the Honda or Yamaha's? (I don't have any use around the house)
Are these quite enough?...can they be run at night?
My dealer wants about $4700 plus installation. I found them locally for $3300. Are they easy to install?

Thanks,
Ken

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I suggest you do a search for "generators". You will see there are several topics there, that will get you quite a bit of info on the topic.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
All CGs I've visited have a quiet time (starting at 10 or 11pm) and don't allow generators at night no matter how quiet but there are some places that don't care as much. I think this is because if someone runs their very quiet unit, anyone would complain, "How come they get to run theirs and we don't?".

Most dual portables only get you about 30 amps. 2 EU3000s provide 50 amps but I don't think they would fit in the front compartment.

If you plan to use a generator only for RV power then I would think it's easier and more secure to permanently mount an Onan compared to portable units. They also tend to have larger fuel tanks which mean they run longer. At night unless you are camped in the Arizona desert in summer, you should be able to get away with not running the gennys and rely on 12 volt battery power each night for the furnace, water heater, and fridge. You can have an inverter installed for the televisions and other 110v electronics (not sure about Air Conditioner).

I use twin portable EU2000 Hondas with a parallel cable to get 30 amps of power. If I feel a need I can buy a third EU2000 and use this: http://wisesales.com/ (scan towards the bottom of the web page and look for a "triple cable") and support 50 amps of power (actually about 45). However, I think an Onan 5500 would be easier to fire up when you need it. One advantage of multiple gennys is if one fails, you still have a backup (less power available, but....)

Hopefully a search of this forum will find some members who have done these to help you with your decision, especially about installation. I notice camper4 has an Onan 5500! Way cool!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

If you get the Onan 5500 and plan to use it extensively (like running two AC's for long periods), I suggest that you take a close look at how much propane it will go through. It is not necessarily the cost of the propane, but the fact that you will need to fill the bottles quite often.

I opted for twin Honda eu2000i generators, but each person needs to look at a bunch of different factors to determine which is the best solution for them.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

We are thinking about installing a generator and looking at the Onan 5500 for a few reasons. One, I like the idea of remotely starting the unit before getting to the destination in hot weather.
When you say you want to remotely start the generator before getting to where you are going - do you mean from the TV? Normally there is a remote start button for the generator inside the RV, but starting it from the TV will take some ingenuity.

Once you get to a destination will you usually plug into shore power or continue to run the generator?

Quote:
quote:
Two, I like the idea of having a permanent installation. I have a few questions:
Am I missing anything buy having 2 portables such as the Honda or Yamaha's? (I don't have any use around the house)
Are these quite enough?...
Either is adequate for one A/C.

Quote:
quote:
can they be run at night?
They can run anytime you want, just like an on-board generator assuming your location allows it. The biggest problem will be prohibitions against generators or restrictive hours of operation.

Quote:
quote:
My dealer wants about $4700 plus installation. I found them locally for $3300. Are they easy to install?
That depends on whether you have the generator prep option installed and your familiarity with electricity.

One thing I observed this year in Quartzite is that those folks with on-board generators discovered they consumed enormous amounts of propane. Some went and bought a Honda 2000 which they used to charge the batteries and power the television. I assume you will use propane for power (installing a gasoline supply is another bag of worms)? You might talk to those who have propane powered units for their experiences.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
What ever you decide, I agree with above about the Onan propane consumption.
Advantage is that you don't have to carry a gas can.
Disadvantage is that it consumes a gallon or more of propane each hour, depending on the load. There are about 7 gallons in each 30 pound tank.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I wouldn't trade my two Honda 2000e for the Onan, even if you offered a straight up trade. Besides the reasons given, they are portable, meaning if I don't need them, they stay at home, which means extra space for other stuff. Also, they can be used at home if needed. We went without power during a winter ice storm one time - never again!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote