Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
I Goofed

Hi All....I hit the water pump switch on the way up the stairs...I do not know how long the pump sucked on an empty tank. Now I do not have a water pump.Did I burn it out or is there a fuse that would have burned first? If this is the case does anyone know what fuse it might have been? I have a 2006 3500rl. Thanks for any help you can provide....Mike

RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We've had the same thing happen. Luckily the pump kept working. As I understand it the pumps are designed to run on empty. I have no idea how long. We eventually replaced the OEM pump with a quieter model. It, too, has run on empty with no ill effects.

I do not know if there is a fuse somewhere in the line or not. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Travel safely,
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There should be a thermal breaker that will reset itself when the pump cools down.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If the pump ran constant there must have been a faucet open or something since the pump will only run when there is a demand-- at least that's how mine works! Did you have a faucet on or something to make it run so long?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Rondo,
You are correct, but the demand is determined by a pressure switch on the discharge side of the pump. Since this system was winterized and no pressure on the lines (60 lbs) the pump tried to build pressure to the desired level. Since the holding take was empty it could not build pressure and just ran.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would think it would be fused in the power distribution panel, on the 12 volt side. Our panel has 15 amp ATC fuses. The pump will probably draw less than 10 amps.

Can you physically see the pump? I would be surprised if motor went out. Not sure how it is coupled to the pump, but if the pump locked up, it may have sheared the coupling, and the motor by itself may be really quiet.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I stand corrected! Thanks John, I never thought about the tank being empty and the pump trying to build up the pressure from an empty tank! It would be just sucking air and not be able to build up the pressure high enough to shut off! As Hamrod stated in his post-- I don't know if there is a separate fuse for the pump or not or if the 12 volt breaker would handle that. Mike have you checked the breaker panel to see if one of the breakers is popped?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I left the pump on in one of my previous 5ers for over a week with no ill effects. Except a slight bump in the power bill.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Mike, I suspect the pump head failed after running without water for a prolonged period. Just guessing though. I had to replace a pump several years ago. If it's a Sur-Flo pump there is usually a diaphram kit available for rebuilding the pump head. Problem is that the rebuild kit is just a little less in cost than the whole pump. If you have to replace it go with the whole pump assembly. It's quicker, easier and warrantied.

Good luck,

Kevin

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
Hi Mike,
I have used Flo Jet pumps that are very much like the Shur Flo used in the Montana for over 17 years in the carpet cleaning business and have some that are at least 10 years old. Running it dry should not have hurt the pump and if the motor still turns and your diaphram needs to be replaced the cost of the diaphram should not be more then $20.
I would google Shur-flo and find a company that handles their parts. Grainger out Chicago would be one place, but may not allow you to order from them unless you can prove you are a business.
I am thinking of replacing my shru flo with a flo jet pump because I think they are not as noisy and more dependable. That is just my thought and am sure that others think just the oposite.

Good luck and hope you correct your problem shortly.
The Kountry Traveler
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
RailroadMike,
Any update on your pump? start working again? blow a fuse? have to replace the whole thing?
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote