Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
? re 4-door refrigerator beeping

We have the 4-door refer on our new Monty. We love it, but have a constant problem with the doors beeping after traveling because they are ajar. We have made sure they are closed tightly before we leave, but somehow they keep coming loose. How do you fix this problem?

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Red-Green would say, duck tape. Sorry I dont have any real answer.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
We had the same problem and our dealer cured it by realigning both doors.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We will be at the Norcold seminar tomorrow and will be sure to ask that question.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thank you Mike and thank you Helen. It will be interesting to see what Norcold has to say. We have put realigning the doors on our warranty to-be-fixed list.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
If my memory is correct, I think the fix is to add a spacer, basically just a washer, on the bottom door pin, both sides, raising the door just a hair. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kerry

If my memory is correct, I think the fix is to add a spacer, basically just a washer, on the bottom door pin, both sides, raising the door just a hair. Kerry
Thanks Kerry. We'll try that since we won't be back into "warranty" country for at least a month.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Mine does the same thing and I don't even have to go anywhere. Just go away for a week and come back and the door is ajar.

I have a theory on mine and it might apply to others as well. My doors are visibly racked, i.e. they are not square in the opening. The left door does not meet the right door 'in line' as it should. There is no hinge adjustment on mine (on household types this is always adjustable). It appears that the only way to square it up is to uninstall it and remount it in its opening.

Here's why this matters...

The little latches are pretty thin, while the shared opening that receives the latches looks like it's a bit more than twice the height of the latch. My suspicion is that they (the latches) are meant to share the opening but not hit each other. If the doors are racked they hit each other. IF this is happening one door's latch will be riding on the angled back side of the other instead of resting against the (right angle) of the opening. Instead of having a nice square purchase, one of your latches is riding a slope and is easily opened with a slight pull. It's like one latch is providing a reverse slope that facilitates opening of the other.

Try pulling on your doors lightly without activating the handle. If your door opens easily that's the problem.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin
. . . Try pulling on your doors lightly without activating the handle. If your door opens easily that's the problem.
Thanks, pbahlin. Tried that, but they don't open. We're moving in the direction of our dealer.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Footloose, we had the same problem and an additional glitch too. One was the slight misalignment of the doors which was fixed by the Norcold rep who was at the rally. He took off the top hinge of the right door and lifted the door off the hinge and placed a small black plastic washer on the bottom hinge pin. That cured the door misalignment. The other problem was a lot of condensation on the roof of the fridge compartment and a fair amount of frost. He showed me the space at the top of the door on both doors in the center. He took a flashlight and placed it inside the fridge and closed both doors and told me to look at the top center of the doors, I could see the light through a small gap between the magnetic strip and the top of the fridge. There were two of these areas, one on each door. he fixed them by sticking two pieces of adhesive backed magnetic tape on the mag strip in the fridge at the its very top. No more sweat and a lot less frost. If you can hit a rally or gathering where they will have a Norcold rep present by all means go. It was a free fix and worked great and only took about 5 minutes to complete... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
[quote]Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Thanks again for all the info. Our dealer will be shocked how much info we will have when we arrive!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:40 AM   #12
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
There is a modification available from Norcold on the 4door frig. It involves modifying the gasket flaps and changing the door latch bar on the bottom door. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The beeping sound is because the light is on. After 2 minutes the light goes off, but the beep continues. The spacers are the fix to raise the door to hit the light striker button. What I did until I could get it fixed was take a small piece of paper towel and fold it over. I used scotch tape to affix it to the door where the striker meets. No more annoying beep. Mine was fixed under warranty the next time I went to the dealer.

To check the seal around each of the doors, use a paper no thicker than a dollar bill (dollar bill will work, and close the door on it. Pull the paper (dollar bill) out slowly. You should feel a slight resistance. Anything more and the door needs adjusting. Do all foor sides of all doors.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
befishn

M.O.C. #9890
I don't know if you came up with a solution for your fridge yet....I'm kinda late coming to the table. I also have a 4 door fridge but I remember reading in the manual that there are door latches for traveling to prevent the doors from coming open. If you look at your user manual it is on page 4. My problem is the left freezer vacuum seals but the right one does not. Does anybody know anything about this?

Gary and Linda
2010 Montana 3400rl
Love It!!!
befishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by befishn

I don't know if you came up with a solution for your fridge yet....I'm kinda late coming to the table. . . My problem is the left freezer vacuum seals but the right one does not. Does anybody know anything about this?
Gary and Linda, our dealer fixed our refrigerator by realigning the doors. Re your freezer seal question, our dealer pointed out that we should push on both refrigerator doors/freezer doors at the same time. He said if you push on just one at a time, it releases the seal on the other one. Not sure if this answers your question (or if he was correct).
Dick and Sharon