Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Propane Leak

Attached to the propane connector on the driver’s side of the Montana (non-auto cut over side) there is a red regulator that says 18 PSI. For some reason mine has started to release propane. It lets enough out that you can both hear it and smell it. After a few seconds it stops then it repeats. This will continue as long as the tank value is open. If I keep the tank value closed there is no propane escaping. I thought it might be due to the fact that this was the most recently filled tank. I switch tanks and the problem continued with the tank that is no more than a third full.

Anyone else had this problem or thoughts on why it is happening? It looks pretty straight forward to replace this regulator. Has anyone on MOC replaced this regulator?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Grant,
We don't have the same model unit as you do so I'm not sure my answer will help you. After about 6 1/2 years, we smelled propane (my wife did, my smeller is gone) and I couldn't locate it until I got some soapy water in a little spritz bottle and sprayed the regulator. Turns out our regulator was allowing propane to seep out around the lever on the regulator. Replaced the regulator and everything has worked fine since.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Grant: I don't have the infamous red regulator on the driver's side, but I thought I remembered folks complaining about it. I did a search and found Steve Reigle's posting.

Posted - Jun 01 2008 : 4:15:36 PM Show Profile Email Poster Visit sreigle's Homepage Send sreigle a Private Message Reply with Quote
In the propane locker that does not have the switchover regulator there is a small red regulator. This is in later models. Our 2007 has this, our 2003 did not. That little red regulator is not very hardy and tends to act up or die rather easily. we had ours replaced once. Same symptoms you are having. The second time I was not near a dealer and was fed up with it. I removed the red regulator. Unfortunately, the hose into that red regulator does not directly fit the opening where the regulator was screwed in. You need an adapter. Four RV dealers, none had it. Ace Hardware had it. I took the red regulator with me and found an adapter that would work.

The ONLY reason that red regulator is there is because on earlier Montanas we sometimes experienced problems with the propane tank's safety valve tripping. That valve trips when it detects an unusually high flow of propane. It thinks a hose was ruptured or something. That happened when we too quickly opened the tank valve. The propane had to flow clear through that pipe to the regulator on the other side. The red regulator prevents that problem from happening by controlling the flow. Unfortunately it easily gets plugged (my guess) and restricts the flow too much. Thus the red flag.

If you remove the red regulator, just remember to open that tank's valve very slowly. I probably get mine to full open in about 15 seconds. No problems. If by chance you get no propane flow because you tripped the valve, close the valve, disconnect the hose, reconnect, open slowly.

This might not be your problem but it is what happened on ours.

In addition here are a couple of other postings on this subject.

Please use the "short form" to post long links. Thanks, RVWheels

http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29334&SearchTerms=,
propane,regulator

http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29055&SearchTerms=,
propane,regulator

I hope this helps.

Edited to fix a typo

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Orv & Butch,

Thanks for the help. There is a Montana Dealer in Anchorage and I will try to find a replacement value when we get there next month.

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
I just had this happen to our 2006 3000RK. I flipped the selector lever back to the passenger side and with both tanks off gave the red regulator a slight tap with a hammer, it appears that this reseated the spring or diaphram? Went to the dealer and service tech said the reg was on its way to fail. Replacement was $18.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Grant, Say hi to Greg in Parts/service at Simmons RV. BTW there are several other RV Parts suppliers in Anchorage that may be able to help you if Greg can't..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote