Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
A/c not enough?!

We have a 2015 3610 legacy Montana. It got to 84 degrees in the Living area and 78 in the bedroom.. The 78 Is ok, but the 84 was too much. I was 95 outside. A lot of heat coming from the glass areas even tho the shades are down.. Anyone with ideas on getting it cooler inside? Yes, air does blow out the vents... Thanks...

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Air comming out of the vents is one thing is it cold? Get a lazier temp gage and see what the temperature is at the vent. Mine was 43 yesterday. Remove the vents and cut down the flange that stick up into the pipe too far. Do a search there are lots of photos re this problem. If you have whisper air check the return vents. Most have collapsed (like mine) and get some 2" PVC pipe cut into 6" pices and slid them into the return vents to open them up. That's all I got. Good luck.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You are correct in that the windows are a large part of the problem. Window awnings, reflective bubble wrap on sunny side windows, heavier curtains, Magnetic window covers etc. many folks have found different answers.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Couple comments/suggestions from another 3160 owner (non-legacy though)
- If you haven't already, make sure the fan is set to High vs Auto
- I am assuming you have both units on and put them at the high setting
- If the ACs have the dump feature where you can select it dumps the air straight out vs through the duct work, try that
- Run the ceiling fan (assuming you have one) to help circulate the air better and move the hot air off the ceiling
- Also try switching directions on the ceiling fan from blow down (typical summer mode) to draw up (winter mode) as mine helps cool the trailer better in what is normally considered winter mode
- Check the air filters to ensure clean and aligned well in the opening
- Keep the blinds down before it climbs if you aren't already 0- easier to stay ahead of the temps vs trying to recover once the tmp has climbed
- reflectix on the windows (I haven't personally resorted to this yet but hear is beneficial)
- On sunny open camp sites, mine still would creep up to 80+ occasionally unfortunately

Good luck

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you don't have covers over the fantasia vent in kitchen and bathroom, they will help cut down on heat gain. Also, that skylight in the shower is one huge solar input device that needs something to block all that heat gain. No other magic...although a huge ice block would help...a floor fan with blue ice blocks behind it to blow cool air on you is better than suffering.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you don't have 2 A/C's then that would be the problem. I don't think one will keep it cool when outside temp is >90 or so.
When I bought mine, I tested it a mile from the dealer in Phoenix ... in July... 117 degrees. Turned on one A/C (all I had at the time) around 3 pm. By 11 pm it was down to around 88 in the living area directly under the unit with the dumps open. Finally around 2 am it got into the seventies and I had to put a sheet on while sleeping.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
Cheezy1
Established Member

M.O.C. #17779
In an extreme case run water from a hose on the coil of the air conditioner condenser on the roof. Just a slight trickle will work wonders in cooling the RV. Discharge air temp of AC should be around 55 degrees or there is something wrong with your AC unit.
Cheezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Thanks all....
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote