Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2014, 03:59 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Mail Service - Real Address?

Read some discussion on another RV forum reference mail forwarding services. It seems the majority of full timers may use such paid services. We have our son forward what little mail we still receive.

This also enables us to use his address for our "home" address which is on our vehicle registrations and driver's license, plus dictates our insurance rates and retirement income taxes to a certain degree.

There are pros and cons I suppose to what methods full timers utilize to handle their mail and their permanent/official address.

One issue I have not seen discussed, but should be important to anyone that travels, is how will relatives or next of kin be notified in case of emergencies?

In a severe accident where you are both unable to provide information, the trooper on the scene could see that you are from such and such address in North Dakota, when in fact you are from a different state entirely. Maybe North Dakota is just where your mail service address is and therefore your registration and driver's license.

Now granted, with such wide use of cell phones anymore most troopers will try to look through your contacts if they have to in order to call relatives. However, if your phone is like mine they better have my 4 digit code to unlock it.

So what do folks that have mail service addresses do? Are there cards they carry in their wallet that say "our legal address is just a fake one for mail and such.....our relatives can be contacted by calling...."? Or if the trooper can get a telephone number for the mail service company is there someone there that can look up next of kin information?

Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We keep emergency notification lists in our wallets.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Emergency contact list with drivers lic, also a orange copy with vehicle registration. Investigating officer can get the full timer story from contact.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I don't use a mail forwarding service ,my Sister's house is my home address and she sends what little mail I get to the local post office via general delivery whenever I need it and as for Emergency contacts our phones are not locked so any policeman can hit the ICE button on my Cell and get hold of a family member
Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
Another good idea is to keep a list of your meds along with your personal contact info. Quite often this is overlooked but needed in an emergency.
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Very good info. Thanks all.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ice-...412786820?mt=8

And....

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-ad...e-lock-screen/

Thank you for reminding me about this question. We spoke of it at the rally and I appointed someone to look it up. Then I forgot!!!

So, I hope this helps with the VIP information.

Also, perhaps this is the time to remind you to have an emergency bag ready with information as ICE contacts, drug allergies, list of meds, and then in case of emergency you grab and go to a safe location.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
"So what do folks that have mail service addresses do? Are there cards they carry in their wallet that say
"our legal address is just a fake one for mail and such....."
our relatives can be contacted by calling...."? Or if the trooper can get a telephone number for the mail service company is there someone there that can look up next of kin information?"

I just want to clarify a statement made above about the term "just a fake address". It is not fake and we do refer to our address as our "Home Base". Our drivers license, voting info and anything to do with legal ...including IRS,, is our legal address ..for last 5 years.
The on-going "joke in campgrounds" is "I see your license plate says... SD, Texas! FL.
May I ask where home was before? And everyone smiles!!!

As far as sons or daughters forwarding what bit of mail we get... Amazon orders, notices from insurance companies, new credit cards issued in place of expired ones, mail, letters from people we meet on the road, notices from IRS,.... They have their families to care for and have enough on their plate already. So, we chose to be less dependent on them to decide if it worth forwarding.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
So, the main reason for driving to S. Dakota or some other state to set up your mail service and get vehicles registered, etc....is just about not having to burden your family members with helping you with mail? It has nothing to do with avoiding much higher registration fees or taxes in your home state?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
we use a mail service in south Dakota. I figure if we end up dead we'll let someone else worry about what to do.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I used SD for multiple reasons.
Cost of license and vehicle registration.
Release from jurey duty.
Release of physical address info when posting mobile on the road. I did not use Facebook until SD residence. Crooks have hard time stealing mail box.
Daughter did not track my mail well. So now responsible for my own.
Vehicle regulations friendlier to RV units.
System works well for me.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Many fulltimers have no stick and brick home, their rv is their home so why not establish a home base in a tax, rv friendly state?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep and that is why I picked WA State ,no state income tax,cheap Tabs and they do not tax social security or pensions
Old 11-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We have used Escapees RV Club Mail Service for almost 20 years. Polk County understands Escapees. No issue with voting, jury duty, vehicle registration, etc. We have a house in Mo. but we are Texas residents.

Our DL, CCL, passports all have the TX address. There is no way I would want our kids to have to handle our mail. They got their own things to do.

http://escapees.com/ browse down the home page and look at mail service and domicile links.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote