Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Norcold L1 OP Code

We have not had any issues with our Norcold until a recent storm came through. In addition to severe hail cracking vents, our Norcold fridge is now giving us an L1 OP code. With the RMRR and Fall Rallies coming up, I need to get this fixed. Other than taking it to a dealer, is there any way to fix this issue that anyone has found? I am not sure whether the storm and fridge issue are related, but right now, I think they probably are.

rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The high temperature circuit is prone to getting wet and causing this problem. I know it has been discussed here before but darn if I can find it. But if you Google "norcold li op code" you will get lots of hits. You use a magnet next to the LED, with 12V power off, to reset the switch.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
It seems that it is your "Open High Temperature Limit Switch" which has gotten wet. If you remove the lower vent and see a 2 1/2" square box with a bright red LED shining in it that is your problem. You will need to contact Norcold to order the switch if your is not resetable. if yours is resetable there will be a button on the thermal switch you can push to reset.

I've also heard about removing the 12v power to the high temperature sensor control unit, then use a magnet. Place the magnet next to the LED and there should be a clicking sound coming from the control unit. Reinstall the 12v power supply to the control unit and the red LED should be out and the failure code on the fridge inside should be stopped and everything working again.

I would try the magnet trick first. But that is just my opinion.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Looks like Carl got the same answer for you while I was typing.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It was a race to reply. I was a few minutes earlier starting. The good news is we both had the same answer.

I didn't know there is a "resetable" switch. What models and/or dates have this?

I was frustrated I couldn't find anything here on the MOC about this error. I know it has been discussed. before. So I started playing with the "Search" function. I previously discovered clicking on the "Search" tag near the top of the page gets you a small drop-down box where you can enter the search keywords. But if you subsequently click on the "Advanced" option, or ifyou initially right clicked on the "Search" tab, you get a much richer function search box with many features (by name, date range, etc).

What I discovered today is the Search function doesn't like short (or long) keywords. Consequently, L1 0P gets rejected as two keywords, each too short. But if you wrap the keywords in double (not single) quotes (ex. "l1 op") Search will look and find posts with that keyword.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...hlight=L1%2AOP

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Well Carl I can't seem to find any that have a resetable switch. I had that down on notes I gathered when I was researching on this problem awhile ago and about using using a magnet to reset.
Heck, I read it on the internet so it had to be true...lol.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Hey Ron,

If the red light is lit on the Norcold protection module, try the magnet over the Norcold protection module, hold it there for 15sec and see if the light goes out.

Another thought, do you have an ARP installed on your frig? If so, depending on how its hooked up, it could be in trouble and causing the the error. If you have an ARP, try bypassing it and see if that fixes the issue.

To bypass, you need to get +12vdc directly into the Norcold protection module and then the +12vdc out from the module directly into the +12vdc lead of the frig control board. Give me a call if you have questions.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I got home at midnight last night and was excited to get my magnets out. Passed the magnet over it, held it there. No luck. I was about to give up when I decided to stick the magnet to the sheet metal next to the side of the box where the led was. Boom, started right up. I will check to see if it stays working. We had $9000 damage to the truck from the hail storm. We haven't gotten the RV estimate yet. Thanks a lot for the fix. With the Fall and RMRR rallies coming, I was starting to panic since I'm flying all over the country working.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote