Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #1
bfryman
Established Member

M.O.C. #15898
Experience With Covers

Picking up new Monty this weekend (3711FL). Wish we could start full-timing or at least long-timing immediately but that will need to wait a couple of years. Want to provide protection for the new rig while it is stored. Has anyone had any experience with the Elements Deluxe All Climate cover sold by Camping World? Thanks

bfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The problem I have with covers is that if they are not 100% taut, you can subject the edges and corners of your rig to abrasion from the cover itself. Personally, I have never had one, rig is stored outdoors, and never had a problem.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #3
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I had one, doesn't keep the unit any cleaner, and didn't stop someone from breaking in. Our Montana only sits 2 months at most in winter, and the cover is not easy to put on.

Since we put Solar Panels, we sold the cover.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #4
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
guess it all depend where in the country you live i live in Miami Florida and if you don't cover it the sun here will eat it up but then again my winters here are hotter than some of you'll summer i'm not a full timer yet so i cover it from mid Feb to labor day and it make a lot of difference specially the tires
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like you said, it all depends on location. I had an Adco cover for a much smaller TT years back. Living in Kansas, no matter how well I thought I had it secured, the wind was very hard on the cover and the cover was hard on the TT. Although it had soft backers at wear points like corners, it noticably abraided the surface and polished off paint on extrusions. As far as tires go, I've always used the plain old canvas tire covers lined with astro foil like in your attic. UV is what works on tires more so than anything ... most covers/canvas lets that right on thru. I spent about $4000 and put up a 40' by 18' metal RV port and never looked back.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
We were going to purchase a cover until I found out that they are only meant to last 3 years. That's much too short a time for how expensive they are.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yeah we had a Adco cover for our old Big Sky and found it a pain in the buns to put on and off and up here in the NW we do not have any issues with sun damage so we sold the cover for 75 bucks on Craigslist and have never use another one on our 2012 or 2015 and our rig has stayed beautiful looking without them
Old 03-02-2015, 04:08 AM   #8
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Have to join in with the gang and say covers are not my cup of tea. Had one (came with it) on our TT and it ate the finish off of all surfaces that came into contact with the cover when the wind blew. Was told they are better for fifth wheels, so got one for our new Monty. It lasted two months in the Ohio wind and self destructed (torn, ripped, frayed). Contacted ADCO with pics, instead of refunding they sent a replacement. Gave it to my Grandson who stores his inside a farm barn
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:21 AM   #9
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Not me...They cost too much, do nothing, and deteriorate too quickly. The environment related thing that ruins these things is the sun. Most people put their covers on during the winter when the sun does no damage, then they take them off all summer long when the UV rays are the strongest.
I suppose if you left it on during the summer, there would be some benefit, but a bottle of 303 protectant would do the same, and be far, far less expensive.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:23 AM   #10
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
we use one and after see the other condition of other rv's in the storage lot, we will stick with our ADCO cover. it is a pain to put on but I mark the top with a marker and tape so i know where the cover should sit on the top of the rv and unroll it from there,

i use thick foam pieces that i put over the water drains/guides on the roof and gorilla tape that in so the cover doesn't get ripped up by them when the wind starts blowing. i snug the bottom and back and front down. with the DW help we pretty much can get it done in an hour and a half.

it is a preference to use one or not. mine is stored for about 7 months outside here in colorado, so worth it to me,
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote