Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Check your road insurance Policy

I had to have my Jetta towed today. I am insured with GMAC (“[s]The Best RV Insurance[/s]”). I found I had a towing limit on the Jetta of $75.00.

This raised a concern about the limit on the truck when towing the trailer. So I called GMAC and found yes there is a limit of $75.00 on the towing of the truck but unlimited on my RV (the trailer). Boy was I surprised and UPSET! Two separate claims even when hooked up and breaking down on the road. What part of RV did I miss.

I called Good Sam because they were the ones that sent me to GMAC for my RV road insurance. I found out that GMAC use to (over a year ago) include the Good SAM Emergency Road Service as part of their RV policy but have since dropped it. CHECK YOUR POLICY.

Good Sam took care of me because I was obviously confused and possibly misled when I signed up for my GMAC RV insurance. They are researching my phone conversation on the initial policy activation.

I did sign up for the Good Sam Emergency Road Side service which has unlimited towing for all vehicles. They also are including this Jetta towing cost as under their coverage and I will get refunded. They offered I did not even consider it.

Great customer service from the folks at Good Sam and their ERS.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Also remember if you have GMAC insurance on your RV and you park it for the winter, you need to notify them. A portion of your policy premium is refunded for the time your RV is not on the road.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 11-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
That's why I have AAA. I have used them several times and they always covered the cost of the tow.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Beware of counting on AAA. Each state AAA is different in what they cover. The sales person told me everything was fine. I called road service to check. Road service said they wouldn't tow over 30' and if the problem was the TV then they would tow the TV and leave the rig on the side of the road. I mentioned others had a better experience, they said each state was different. We dropped AAA and went with Coach-net.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have ERS from Good Sam and have nothing but good things to say. They are nothing but GREAT. When I put the truck and Tana for the winter nap,I put the truck and trailer with comp only as you don't need the other as no one drives it. Something to check on.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I am not referring to AAA insurance which I don't have, but the AAA road side service, in California, beware of AAA roadside service. There are counties with varying service policies and interpretation of provided service. The San Joaquin areas are notorious even within AAA road service offices for terrible service. I have a niece who works for AAA elsewhere and has transferred to other CA offices and confirmed this and has no desire to work in any San Joaquin Valley service center because of what she's heard about how they're allowed to run things.

I found this out when I needed roadside service for an SOB trailer's flat tire. I had already replaced one and was out of spares when a second tire went out. When I called for help, the first comment was "Do you realize this is Memorial Day weekend?". I won't go over the long details but I ended up unhitching and driving 120 miles round trip to get two new tires and get back on the road. They never called. When we got back from our weeklong trip, I cancelled them even after over 20 years with them.

So even if printed that they would provide service, they didn't in this case. I was able to take care of this myself. Good thing is was only a flat tire. It's not just the insurance policies you must check, but roadside service, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have been taken care of very well with our Good Sam Emergency Road Service. Thanks for reenforcing this for us, John.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I have had very good service from AAA RV Plus even while broke down in California. When I have had to use their services, I call the 800 number first and let them set up the tow. The tow provided in Ca was for the entire rig even tho the tow company was not AAA. I paid the tow and was promptly reimbursed the money by AAA.
And yes, AAA RV Plus will send out two trucks, one for the truck and one for the rv. This tow limit is 100 miles, which so far has been no problem getting the rv to a cg.
John, I'm not familiar with GMAC today, but back in the 60's, yeah, the 60's, GMAC ins covered only the policy holders car even if they were at fault in an accident, experience here. Good thing I had full coverage insurance with another company.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We had Good Sam's for a couple years. Had to have the TV towed to a dealer. The CSR says "no way", unless you pay extra. One block farther than their preferred shop. I talked to the truck driver, and he dropped the truck at the dealer at no charge, then I dropped Good Sam's. That being said, it is probably like all other things, probably different by locality, or state.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Correct me if I'm wrong but when I had AAA service I had a stick house. I was unable to continue with AAA when we went full time in 2000. When I had road service with AAA they were always "Johnny-on-the-spot" when I needed there services. Never had any complaints about them except that I was unable to continue with them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I dropped GMAC a couple years ago. Got to darn expensive, period. Guess I have been real lucky as I have never had an on road claim since I went to traveling with the military in '67 and continue to do so in retirement. But there is a first time for everything. JMHO.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote