Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Maybe I am the last to know

If you don't use bottled water, you won't appreciate this. When I use bottled water (like 6 or 7 a day when working in this heat), I finish the bottle, put the cap back on and throw it in the trash. Well, the other day I finally snapped to the fact that the bottles could be crushed easily because the plastic is so thin. I just sort of roll it up, put the cap back on to keep air from reentering, and throw that in the trash. It takes up less than a third of the space. Maybe old dogs really can learn new tricks.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Stiles,
Keep the cap on, crush the bottle by rolling it up and then pop the top.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I do that also Stiles. I even do it to gallon water and milk jugs and orange juice cartons.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Leave abit of water in the bottom of the bottle, put it close to the fire ring when you have a fire going and watch the top blow off the bottle after the heat from the fire creates pressure in the bottle until "bang!!!"

Don't get it too close to the fire ring or it will melt-this is from experience....
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I read somewhere that the recycle people did not want the lids put back on the bottles, maybe fear of the bottles blowing up when crushed or something.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

I read somewhere that the recycle people did not want the lids put back on the bottles, maybe fear of the bottles blowing up when crushed or something.
Ya they don't want the caps, they are made from different plastic, that is not recycled at this point.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
[quote]Originally posted by stiles watson
I just sort of roll it up, put the cap back on to keep air from reentering, and throw that in the trash. It takes up less than a third of the space.

TRASH??? Oh my, out here in "Orygun" they are worth 5 cents apiece (deposit), and soon to go to 10 cents each. Picking them up and returning them is how we pay for our fuel.........well, maybe not all of it!!!!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There is no refund on plastic bottles in Texas. The trash collection has no recycle in Leon county. I don't plan to take a pickup load of plastic air 60 miles to get a buck and a half to be green.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
How about using a Brita pitcher and stainless steel bottles? That's what we do to cut down on plastic bottle usage.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We might be behind the times, but we have created 100,000 jobs in Texas, more than all the other states combined and we are not going bankrupt with overwhelming social programs. We also have the least number of mortgage defaults because of we have strict banking practices. I will stop there before I get political.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 AM   #11
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
[quote]Originally posted by stiles watson
There is no refund on plastic bottles in Texas. The trash collection has no recycle in Leon county. I don't plan to take a pickup load of plastic air 60 miles to get a buck and a half to be green.

I dunno, Stiles. You may be missing a sales opportunity here.....like the nitrogen for tires, you could sell that "plastic air" for tires too. You could say that the "plastic" in the air seals any punctures and leaks in the tires!!!??? It's all in the "marketing".....!!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We reuse our drink bottles...until we get somewhere where the water is bad and we cannot refill them.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Where I live when you pay for the bottled water, you are charged a redemption fee. If you throw them away someone else gets the money. We use a Brita filter and don't worry about redemption values. We just have to keep buying the filters but not very often.

Whatever works for your wallet, politics, habits, time and preferences. There's not really a wrong way for this. Now I just learned a new trick for disposing of them - the family is horrible at crushing things and the recycle bin gets full SO FAST because of it. I seem to be the only one (well, DW, too) crushing them. This will seem like too much work for them, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Well, I am not going to get into the recycling thing but I sure as heck wouldn't waste a bunch of fuel to do it.

I also refuse to pay some corporation to supply me with water when mine comes out of the tap after I run it through filters. We fill our own bottles!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #15
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Gee, we might do well to read the posts we reply to. My first line says that if you don't use bottled water, then skip it. I really don't care if someone uses tap water or Britta or if you recycle or don't. If you use bottled water and if you need to dispose of the bottle, then this post is relevant. We do things differently for a multitude of reasons that we justify by what ever philosophies or rationalizations we hold. Sounds like the last verse in the book of Judges, "and they all did what was right in their own eyes." There are a number of things I am willing to be a crusader about, but they are far more important than what kind of water people drink or how they manage the container. I am done with this thread.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

We might be behind the times, but we have created 100,000 jobs in Texas, more than all the other states combined and we are not going bankrupt with overwhelming social programs. We also have the least number of mortgage defaults because of we have strict banking practices. I will stop there before I get political.
Heck, why don't we have a "like" button on here! Proud I've I've lived over half my life in the Lone Star state.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote