Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Limp home light on 2005 6.0 F-250

Hello everyone; it has been a loooooong time since I dropped by!

Wanted to run a problem by fellow 6.0 owners. I pulled our 3295RK up to Unicoi SP in northern Georgia in early April and then today; I have experienced the same situation both times.

There is a short grade on Highway 441 just below Cornelia. In April the wrench light came on as I was about half way up the hill; I checked in the owner's manual and this was called the "limp home" mode. I made it up the hill, pulled off as soon as possible, and turned off the ignition, letting the truck sit for about 15 minutes. It started fine and we continued on to the campground. We had no more problems out of the truck. I took it to the local Ford dealer and they said they could not find anything and that there were no error codes because we had driven the truck since then.

I have driven the truck normally since April, even pulling the Montana to another park, albeit one without any grades...no problems out of the truck.

Today, on the way back to Unicoi, the same problem happened on the same grade. I did notice that the truck had just changed gears a few seconds before the light came on and, afterwards, it felt like I did not have access to that gear; I made it up the hill going about 35 mph, aiming for the same parking lot where I pulled off last time. To do that, I had to go down a shorter hill, touched the brakes and the transmission geared down for braking. After I pulled over, Marsha, who was in her car behind me, said a cloud of black smoke came out the exhaust about the time the transmission geared down.

I again stopped the truck, turned off the ignition; when I restarted it, the light was off and we were able to continue on without any problems.

I was wondering if any of you who pull more than I do have experienced a similar problem or have any insight. The truck had about 61k in April and 65k now.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I can't help. But if you do not get an answer here, I would suggest you go over to Ford Truck Enthusiast web site for all questions pertaining to Ford trucks.
Lots of knowledgeable Ford guys there.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I would make only one suggestion. You might be holding the accelerator to the floor expecting peek power. Let off on the accel. to the point of power response. You are probably loading the engine with unburned fuel and therefore loading up with carbon. Probably the reason for black smoke. Not sure but worth a try.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Wish I could help but mine has never acted like that.
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I just had a problem with EGR valve which caused smoking. Problem was carbon was keeping valve from closing. Shop cleaned EGR valve and fixed the smoking problem. Didn't go into limp mode or give any error message and still had power. Smoked when started until it warmed up, was told the valve does not fully close after engine is up to temp. Not sure it's same as your problem.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
A friend had a similar experience, his resulted in the fuel filter having water in it. Dealer replace fuel filter and all was well.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I have looked on the Ford Enthusiasts forum, and have seen several different possibilities listed. What I am afraid of is that there are going to be no tell-tale codes when I take the truck to the dealer. It looks like I am going to have to take a plunge and buy something like the Scan Gauge II; is this the most useful or does anyone have other options that track gauges and codes?

I did have the fuel filter replaced after the April trip, so I am presuming that is not the problem.

I neglected to mention that the turbo boost gauge was in the upper 20s before; obviously, I did not have a specific read out. On the Ford Enthusiasts forum, there was a post about the limp home coming on when the boost hits above 26.

The concern is that this grade is not that bad, and the truck behaves normally at all other times. Very strange...
Old 07-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, if that light comes on then there is a code. I have the Scan Gauge II sitting on the dash because its important to know when things start to change before it goes south...mine is older so factory dash stuff is pretty useless.

Scan Gauge II I monitor; EOT (Engine oil Temp), ECT (Engine coolant Temp), TFT (Transmission fluid Temp), and PSI (Turbo boost). I've seen my temps go quite high when pulling hard on long steep grades...EOT 243, ECT 229, TFT 193, and PSI 24. Since purchase its changed my driving habits for the better, why be in such a hurry when on vacation?

I also have the AutoEnginuity w/Ford & GM enhanced expansion packages...this thing is more expensive but does diagnostic routines and can read more than just the PCM...as close as a non-dealer can get to dealer level code reader.

I can't find the printout for my truck but here's one from my Chevy Trailblazer scanned w/o any warning lights active but shows something going on behind the scenes....so pay a bunch of money to give me more to worry about?

OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Code Report
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shop:
Address:
Phone: Fax:
Email:
Timestamp: 6/16/2011 05:55:47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make: Chevrolet Model: Trailblazer Year: 2003
VIN:
MIL: Off
Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Generic Powertrain
No diagnostic codes retrieved
Enhanced Powertrain
U1000 Class 2 Data Link Malfunction
Transmission
U1000 Class 2 Data Link Malfunction
Automatic Transfer Case System
C0300 Rear Propshaft Signal Circuit Malfunction
C0305 Front Propshaft Speed Sensor System Malfunction
C0306 Unknown Trouble Code Description
C0321 Unknown Trouble Code Description
C0327 Encoder Circuit
C0359 Unknown Trouble Code Description
C0374 General System Malfunction
C0379 Unknown Trouble Code Description
B0780 4LO Indicator Circuit Malfunction
B0790 Transfer Case Neutral Indicator Circuit Malfunction
B2725 Active Transfer Case Mode Switch Malfunction
4 WAL
C0281 Brake Switch Circuit
C0267 Low Brake Fluid Pump Motor Circuit Open/Shorted
C0223 Right Front Wheel Speed Signal Erratic
Amplifier
No response from module
Body Control Module
Driver Door Module
Driver Seat Module
No response from module
Heating And Air Conditioning
Instrument Panel Cluster
Lift Gate Module
U1064 Loss of BCM/DIM/SBM Communications Loss of BCM/DIM/SBM Communications
U1016 Loss of PCM Communications Lost Communications With Engine Control System
U1152 Loss of ACM Serial Data Communication Lost Communications With HVAC Control System
OnStar
B2470 Cellular Phone Antenna Circuit Malfunction
Passenger Door Module
Passenger Seat Module
No response from module
Rear Seat Audio
No response from module
Supplemental Inflatable Restraint
Up-Level Radio
Vehicle Theft Deterrent
No response from module
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Different model,engine and year (2010 450 6.4) but same problem. No codes thrown but limp mode on hills that should be no problem. Dealer reprogrammed computer(ECM?) and problem went away.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
RCN.Stoker, I will definitely mention that to the Ford dealership. This makes a lot of sense to me since the truck is acting fine in every other way.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I took my truck to the dealership where I purchased it this week and they were able to retrieve a code which indicated the turbo was "sticking/binding." I have been out of town since I dropped it off, so I have not been able to ask detailed questions, but they are replacing the turbo.

Hope that solves the problem...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Good for you, I just hope you are not on the hook for the charges....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Sadly, I am.