Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #21
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I for one, appreciate that Doofus threw an idea out for people to think about. It was just an idea.

That's what this board is about, being able to chime in with ideas, suggestions, complaints, whatever a person feels the need to say, without being ganged-up on or criticized.

But when a person does put an idea/opinion on here, they have to expect to get a gazillion other opinions on their opinion. Ha ha

And that's okay as long as the responses are in a non-intimidating manner.

One of the foundations of this forum is we all agree to disagree, politely.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I read lots of good comments here, I am tired (being here at Quartzsite is hard work, let me tell you, I am VERY tired! Spending all that money in town can wear ya down, it is horrible, I mean really horrible - - OK, I am being sarcastic!)

Anyway, I am reading good comments here, and I am tired, but, I don't see hostile comments, emotional and maybe even strong opinions, but, not hostile.

We all have opinions, and I am gonna say mine too!

"If it ain't broke don't fix it." Yep, I am pretty happy with this forum the way it is.

And: "one of the foundations of this forum is we all agree to disagree, politely." Yep, I like that a lot too!!

And being all worn out and tired, that is all I can muster up at the moment.

This independently owned forum has survived so far, and most of us will agree we do have one of the most civil tongued forums on the internet.

That works for me!

The rest I don't wanna mess with, cause I am tired and - - - -
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree with Carol that I don't think there was any hostile intent on any response. The hardest thing to reconcile with on-line forums is the fact that the written word cannot be compared to vocal communication (no emotion, facial expressions, body language) since the underlying tone cannot be fairly interpreted. I read and re-read the supposedly "hostile" response and depending on the emphasis placed on different phrases it can be interpreted in about three different tones. Knowing that the responder is a "seasoned (hows that for politically correct) veteran" of the forum, I do not believe that any "hostile" intent was presented. And besides, I agree to disagree all the time, including earlier in this thread!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
"And besides, I agree to disagree all the time, including earlier in this thread!!".... from bncinwv

I love that! Ha ha

Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by doofus

No need to be hostile.
I don't think anyone is being hostile in any manner or form. I just think that people are trying to convey their thoughts as to pro or con for having an organized group. And trying to convey those thoughts to us when we can't see their body movements or facial expressions sometimes leads one to believe that they are coming down on us when we read those written thoughts.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #26
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Carol, you need to rest up. In regards to the subject of this post I read that the OP had an opinion about how to band together to fight city hall. I respect his opinion but I just think in my opinion that there are better avenues other than the Moc forum. I think Bingo conveyed my thoughts pretty well. Thanks Bingo for reading my mind.
As far as getting hostile over opinions - MOC has a history of controlling that. If you want hostile just post a "hello" message on --.net and you will receive responses from a blow torch.
I don't mind others opinions as long as they agree with mine.
MOC is a source of valued information of others with like interest and like problems - my opinion is to keep it that way.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are not a " Veteran" MOC'er but this subject comes up every so often and it is good that it does as the responses are a snapshot of how we feel today.

It was prompted by the incident in Quartzsite and perhaps the question is would a structured organization have prevented that or what could it do about it. Food for thought.

The incident is done and it is what it is... I say let it go.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #28
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I really don't have an opinion one way or the other about a chartered club...but, in all fairness to the OP, from the forums I have been on, capital letters are considered shouting. Thus, perhaps it was taken out of context, but bold capital letters would come across to me as being hostile. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #29
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
I almost hate to drag this out....

But I was not referring to deadeye's post, or bolded text. There are days during which I need to be shouted at!
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #30
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
[blue]Thanks Paul.....Thought I was in hot water again ....JB[/blue]
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #31
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Jack,

I could never take offense from someone who lives in a town named after a cooking shortening.

Oh, sorry, CRESCO; I looked at it too fast...

Aargh, I'm so sorry for the bad pun; I'm sure you've heard that a thousand times.

Sometimes I fool myself into thinking I've had an original thought.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #32
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Indyroadrunner... It's funny you mention that other forum. If I remember correctly (and the owner of this forum will privately correct me on this if I am wrong) we can give RV.net some thanks for the existence of this forum.

Back in 2001 and 2002 I was a member of rv.net and you couldn't post anything on there without more than one person screaming and yelling at your post.

The person who owns this forum was looking at buying a Montana and was trying to get information from people on there that already owned one. We tried communicating about the Montanas but got so much negative response from others on that forum so we then communicated via email.

The person wanted to bring together Montana owners in a place where we could communicate in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and got the idea to start a Montana forum. This is where it gets a bit hazy for me: It was started on another site and then jumped over to here. For awhile a person didn't have to sign-up to be on the forum then it became closed, but free to sign-up. I got around to getting a member name about 2 weeks after it became required.

I know you (owner) are reading this. How about putting together a history of the creation of the MOC in your spare time? (Ha ha)

I think some folks here would be interested in reading about the birth and growth of the forum. I wouldn't mind being refreshed on it either.

It would be a great opening page for a rally book.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #33
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think Doug & Margee have a great idea about a history lesson about the MOC. I would like to hear it also. Thanks in advance......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #34
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
It would make a good FAQ article for a new doofus like me...
Old 01-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #35
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
I second that motion!!! A history of the MOC could also be "sold" for fundraising?

Either way, it would be interesting the beginning and the growth!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just so it does not start off with "it was a dark and stormy night"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #37
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Okay, I gotta back off of this "history of the MOC" idea for now. The powers-that-be have told me they are way too busy to start something like that right now. Granted, it would take a lot of research and work to put it together. But maybe in the future......
Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #38
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
So...back on topic, our vote is keep it as is and consider this the best source for information that goes beyond our Montana's.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #39
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I don't think any formal organized club would be able to change what occured at the Q. Some members were allowed to spend a few extra days at the site and someone
who attended the Q. got upset or mad or whatever the reason turned them in to the higher ups of the gov't agency in charge of that land area. Those that stayed were there to make sure that everything was cleaned up and put back the way it was found. They stayed for that reason and worked hard ensuring the clean up was done correctly so as not to give the MOC's a bad name. Unfortunately it appears that a higher up in the agency got wind of this and we all know what flows downhill, and those that overlooked the overstay or were there when it occured were the ones that had to pay the wrath of the higher ups. Which means the MOC's had to suffer also. The bottom line is: Rules were broken no matter what the reason and the rules most likely are not going to change. If they allow a few MOC's early entry and late exit they will have to do it for everybody and they are not going to let that happen and the reasons are numerous from damage to the plants to a law suit when someone gets hurt while there after the 14 day limit etc etc. Getting organized to fight this 14 day say is not going to work when you have a great forum like this is and it is just as powerful as any organized club with less headaches there really is no need to go any further..at least that is my opinion. I'm just thankful we can talk like this.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #40
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
What happened at Quartzsite this year was, IMHO, embarrassing, disappointing and unfortunate for all that were involved directly or indirectly.

I for one do not believe that forming a formal club with elected officials, by-laws and dues is going to fix that. We were at Quartzsite last year, this year, and will be here again next year.

Personally, I do not want more attention drawn to our group by folks writing, e-mailing or phoning the BLM to try and gain special permissions or exceptions for our group. The Rangers have made their presence known this year. Please, just let this die and move on and learn from it.

Jack