Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Remotes do freeze

We are in Hardeeville SC for the winter. Lou and Gayle Alquist are here for a few days heading for Christmas in Tallahassee. This morning they got ready to go over to Camping World to have the Norcold recal work done. It is 22 outside and Lou left his remote in the truck last night. when he tried to bring up the rear stabilizers they would move about an inch and stop, move an inch and stop. We thought it was a stabilizer problem but he had the same problem with the landing gear and the slides. So my point is that if you expect to have to use your remote and it is below freezing bring it inside the rig the night before and keep it warm. After it warmed up everything worked fine. I believe that the plastic overlay on the key pad got stiff and caused the problem. Whatever it actually was was remedied by warming the remote. Just a heads up... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Dave, it might have been the battery. Just like TVs when the batteries get cold they just don't seem to have the zip as when they are warm. Just a thought.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
I had that same problem during the fall season. I reprogramed the remote and all is well.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Plus 1 on what Michelle said. Small batteries like those found in remotes are very sensitive to the cold. That's why when using my camera cold temps, I keep a spare battery inside my coat pocket.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In your case, my vote is the battery, too. They do have an operating temperature requirement and if too cold, then just needs to be warmed up. Even removing the batter and warming it up between your hands is what I've done if you need it quick.

If left too long and it's too cold, if a remote contains "stored values", then they can get reset (cleared) if the "programmed part (aka Flash, EEProm, EAPROM, etc.)" loses its memory and therefore its settings. Like PatnRich mentions, reprogramming might be needed to regain its settings even after getting the battery working again. This is mostly for remotes that can contain settings other that what's the default, but it's something to remember (that's happened to me, too).

I really admire you folks who know how to live in the cold! I am only good at visiting the cold, then I gotta go back south. I guess South Carolina ain't south enough....
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote