Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Dmax07
Established Member

M.O.C. #7949
Tire Tread Wear

I have a tire tread wear problem on a 2006 3500RL. The rear tires are wearing on the inside edge. More so on the entry door side of the trailer. Tires are Mission 16 inch tires. I run 75 to 80 psi in them. Looking at the axles and undercarriage, with my untrained eye, I do not see any damage or anything obvious. I do not have the trailer overloaded. When hooked to the TV the rig looks to be level. It does not look to be sitting high to the front.
Has anyone else had a problem with inside edge tire wear? If so what was the diagnosis and solution to the problem?
Who is qualified to troubleshoot alignment/axle problems, Camping World, local Monty dealers, ???? in Mississippi.

Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Just took 4 off our 2007 3400RL.
3 had belts broke and all were worn on the inside edge, trailer company said" Dexter axels were flat" Keystone said"so what, not our problem" Love it!

2007 3400RL Montana
1999 Volvo 610 pickup
2008 Smart
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Your axels went flat,, they have to have a camber in them of about a 1/2" or so ,, if you fight keystone for them you have to go through testing at dexter and dexter is always rite like a lot of other people in this world think they are . replace the axels with higher weight amounts and new tires for less than $900.00 per axel includes labor as i did but i got keystone to pay as i was in warrenty and have you had your rig weighed yet on a cat scale and be sure to split the axels as the rear cares about 65% of the weight and the front is very lite as i found ,, i weigh every year or less to see what we haul.. you are heavey on the curb side it looks like john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Bent axles

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Spent many many years in the tire business so please take my advice.
You are running a proper air pressure so that can be ruled out. If it was low air pressure it would wear on both outside edges. If it were over inflation it would wear down the middle of the tread.
If it were an overloaded situation the tires would be equally overloaded not just one edge or the other.
As the tires are wearing on the outside edge only it almost has to be an alignment problem. Take the rig to an alignment shop and have it checked before doing anything else. In 90% of these situations it is alignment. If it is alignment it can be corrected without the cost of changing axles. If the axles are bent, and in your situation it would not be extreme, this also can be corrected.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ah, yes, the tire wear problem. That's more prevalent than we'd like. We've had it also and I think we still do on one axle. Glenn gave good advice. From what we've experienced, if you have the same kind of wear on both ends of an axle, it's probably an alignment problem and can be fixed relatively cheaply. We paid $75 per axle on our 3295RK. On this 3400 we had really bad wear on the inside of just one tire on the front axle. It turned out to be a bent spindle. Apparently it happened during transport to our dealer. That axle was replaced and is doing fine. Now I'm seeing a similar situation on the rear axle but the tire has more miles than did the front axle. So I'm betting whatever the transporter hit, the front axle took the brunt but the rear axle got enough to also do some damage to that axle albeit less than to the front. We're out of warranty now so I doubt Keystone is going to step up and take care of this one. It likely will be on us this time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The axle has lost its camber. If you get under the back of the trailer and look at the arch in the axle you should see about a 1/2" rise in the middle. This gives the wheels their camber. I had mine replaced on my 2004 3670RL. As well I had a 5600lb axle on the rear axle and a 6000lb axle on the front. I wasn't having the rapid inside tire wear on the front axle only the rear. I consider this a design problem. Realigning the defective axle material on my trailer would have been a waste of time. Alko axles around the 2003 and 2004 time period had a material defect and would not hold camber. New axles themselves are about $165 each + freight. If you are good with tools this isn't a difficult fix. Good luck!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote