Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
leaving trailer Electric plugged in

Does it hurt anything to leave trailer electric plugged in for extended periods of time or permantely ? What about leaving Frig on all the time.

Seems like I read somewhere that it was not good for the convertor/invertor.

Seems silly for harm to be possible, considering the fill timers out there.

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
If anything I would watch the batteries so the dont overcharge, other than that I see no problem leaving it pluged in to a shore line.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I agree, check the battery water on occasion as well. I wouldn't leave the fridge on if just in storage, but that may not be what you are talking about.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our campers have been parked along side our house for many years and are plugged into shore power 24/7. When we stayed here in northern Oho for the winter and winterized the campers we did shut down the fridge but still kept the camper on shore power so we could run a heater inside if it got really cold. The fridge on this 3400 has not been shut down for 17 months.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We do pretty much the same as Rich - the only time we're not plugged in is when we're on the road.
During the season, the fridge is running all summer, at the end of the season, I winterize, turn off the fridge, and still leave the rig plugged in.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Being fulltimers we are plugged in most all of the time, except when traveling. So far no problems.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
From late April to Late October the camper is plugged in, and the refrigerator is on (except when traveling, and Boondocking), I normally don't keep it plugged in continuously during the winter months ( I empty the refrigerator, and have installed a cut-off switch on the propane monitor so it won't draw down the battery when parked for the winter), as I snowblow around the camper, and moving the cord in sub-freezing weather is difficult because of the stiffness, and icing of the cord. This winter may be different though, as I am trying to nurse a battery on its last legs while waiting to change to two 6 volt golf cart batteries in the spring. I have installed the second vented battery box, just waiting for spring to make the purchase. Except for the cold weather issues with the cord stiffness, and icing, I don't believe there would be a problem with the continuous electrical hookup.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Same as jretz, no problems so far......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just make it a point to check the battery water level and all should be fine.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 AM   #10
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
I leave the RV plugged in all winter also and have never had a problem. Doesn`t the converter shut down the charge of the battery(s) when they reach a full charge?? I always thought it did otherwise we would all have boiling batteries wouldn`t we??
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mark, if you have the 3 stage charger, it would be the best case, and would maintain properly, problem is, most do not have the 3 stage charger, and it will not de-sulfify,(can't spell it) and may boil the battery water.
Some of the later IOTA converters are coming with them from the factory, some late year converters have the telephone style plug in that you can plug the charge Wizard accessory into.
EVERYONE should have that 3 stage charge on their trailer.
Check that IOTA link.
Converter (Battery charger and 12 volt power supply)
Your converter (3400 RL; '07) is a 55 amp. (Medium size) 15 amps to 90 amps; with a rapid charge capability.
It comes with a male plastic phone type jack taped to the unit that, when inserted, will provide a temporary rapid charge for your 12 volt storage system. (single, or multiple 12 volt batteries, or an even number of Golf Cart batteries . Normal 13.6, to 14.2 fast charge.
This is a temporary mode of operation, as it would boil, or overcharge if left in. Useful for a quick charge need.
It’s maximum amp draw is 15 amps. (A/C)
If you blow fuses, look for reverse polarity, these fuses are designed for that.
Your converter has built in protection from:
Voltage spikes
Low line voltage (power from the main, coming in to the RV) Sometimes referred to as ‘Brown out’
Your converter can be used with, OR without a battery connected with no adverse effects.
All and all a pretty sophisticated piece of equipment.
Read up on the IQ Smart charger option;
http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #12
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
The older converters will over charge the batteries. I do leave mine plugged in but I have a knife switch (Camping World) on the batteries and I switch off the circuit breaker that powers the converter, no need to have it on without a load. Remaining shore powers a small heater in case of freeze and a "pestacator" to keep my little four legged furry friends away. Been pest free for over a year now!
abonzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 AM   #13
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Thanks for all replys.
Nice experienced info to have

I have a knife switch that would keep the battery from overcharging.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We've had our fridge running for 18 months continuously, no problems yet?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:05 AM   #15
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
For years my rigs have been plugged in because I run a dehumidifier to compensate for the Florida humidity. The only problem I have ever had has been when I forget to check the water in the batteries. Have had the refrigerator run for months, with stuff in it, with no problems. I don't run it if it is empty.
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #16
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I was wondering, if you are hooked up to power, why couldn't you unhook your battery using the disconnect in compartment on the side of the trailer. Then every couple of weeks, re-connect to battery to keep it charged up. If you are hooked up to power full time, you don't need the batteries, do you?
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #17
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by muddflapp

I was wondering, if you are hooked up to power, why couldn't you unhook your battery using the disconnect in compartment on the side of the trailer. Then every couple of weeks, re-connect to battery to keep it charged up. If you are hooked up to power full time, you don't need the batteries, do you?
I don't need battery hooked up with Electric connected.
I will throw my knife switch when I am away from trailer with electric hooked up.

A point of caution, is I do use an inline surge protector and if that breaker is thrown with food in the Frig, you would be in for a bad experience. I arrived at the trailer last year and found the breaker thrown, but had no perishable foods stored.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #18
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Have been in my Mountaineer for 16 months pluged in the whole time.
Check your water in the batteries every now and again and you will be fine.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used to plug our 2003 3295RK in in late Oct or early Nov and unplugged it in late Mar or early Apr and never had a problem. Just check water level in the battery once a month.

Fulltimers have the fridge running 24x7. Before our fulltiming, I'd plug the rig in when we got home and keep it plugged in until the next trip. We kept food in the fridge that wouldn't go bad in that time. Never had a problem with the fridge.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #20
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Ozz said it all. Follow his advice if you have the Iota converter.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote