Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Need help on Regulator

I searched and found most of the answers I need, except one. The regulator on my street (drivers) side appears to be leaking at the weep hole, which seems to be shutting down my entire system except for the little bit of blow by from the tank safety. Is this regulator a single stage, or a dual stage regulator? It is the red one on the drivers side.

This is the only thing I can narrow it down to. Even when I cut off the line to that side, I cannot get the curb side propane unit to flow either, and have doubts that even my auto switchover regulator is flowing. Haven't used propane on my unit since July 4, and have had it shut off. Wanted to play around with the furnace this morning to ensure it would function properly, and no gas service.

I appreciate all replies. Thanks.

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Starting from the bottom I would take both tanks out and do about a one foot drop (attitude adjustment) on a piece of wood.
The intent is to make sure the internal safety valve is working on each tank. Then put the curb side in and see if you can get it to work. Then the driver side.
The red regulator on the drive side is a flow control to prevent the long run to the switching regulator to cause the driver side tank to think there is an open line if the valve was opened too fast. If the safety valve in the tanks detects too fast a flow it shuts off.
Good luck.
Let us know what you find. Semper Fi.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
My first thought is

Spiders, who love propane.

Look for webs.

On edit: of course, they probably are not in a "closed" system, but you can look at the end of the system, like where you get FIRE!

OKKK, guys, help me out here with some techy words and descriptions.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Thanks Top, I'll try this after the race tomorrow. I attempted the same thing today by taking both tanks off, and flipping them upside down and back about two or three times. I placed the curbside unit on first, then the drivers side, then turned on the driver side slowly and heard the pressure enter the system. The weep hole on the red 'regulator' was bypassing gas in small amounts. I then installed the tank on the curb side, turned it on slowly, and thougt I heard it run pressure. But still the auto switching unit still showed red on both tanks, after switching it back and forth. I was still able to light the stove, in an attempt to bleed off the air from the system, but it would barely stay lit on the high burner.
Is the red regulator actually termed a flow control? Or is it a single stage regulator. I don't know. My thoughts are that the auto switching dual regulator has failed.
Mrs.CountryGuy, nope to spiders. Checked that thoroughly.
Top, your picture makes you look a whole lot like R. Lee Ermey. Any comments on that before?
1/8 Marines, 80-87 0341/0351/5711. Final two stints were Air Weather and recruiting.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Devildog,
Nope, first comment on R. Lee Ermey. I can not answer the red regulator. I think your best bet is replace that switching regulator or take it to a service department that has the tools to test pressure and fine leaks.
Best of luck.
Semper Fi,
Old 10-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
When opening the tanks after hooking up OPEN VERY VERY slowly. Was wondering if setting that long and not under pressure it could have air it. Just a thought.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Well, I reattempted everything this evening after the race, appeared to have good positive pressure from the tanks after hookup and opening very slowly. Noticed a vent leak from the red regulator on the drivers side, but still no indication from the auto switching of full tanks. It still showed that both tanks were empty. Minimal flow inside to stove, just enough to light a burner.
Off to Camping world tomorrow, there's one near the office, to score an auto switchover dual regulator. I am pretty sure this is where the problem is.
Thanks for the replies and ideas.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Hate ti bring this one back to the top of the topics, but wanted to pass on to all who responded and those who just looked, that the problem has been solved, but not in the way I thought it would be. If you read the first post, you will remember what the original problem was. This was the steps I solved it in, and was surprised!
1. Bought new AutoChangeover Dual stage regulator from CW, Mr. Heater brand. High quality, easy to install. I originally had a Marshall brand on it, which came from the factory. Completed all the correct hookups with the hoses, ensure that there was not blockage on the orifice end. Turned on the propane tanks SLOWLY. Still no reading from the new regulator. Limited flow to stove, very small amount. Checked for leaks, none.
2. Started checking downrange of dual regulator for leak in gas pipe, using soapy water. No leaks, but did find a faulty ground in the extension cord from house to 50 cord (i only have it plugged into 15 amp, just enough to keep battery charged and run a light or two). Solved that problem remembering a post on this site about someone installing JT strongarms and getting a shock. Anyway, still haven't solved the propane regulator problem.
3. Checked the hoses. Sort of like House on TV, sat around cussing and talking to myself about it, and wondered if there was any safety features built into the hoses. Pulled on off, tested it (you know, blow through one end and see if there is any flow out of the other). Sure enough no flow. Went to nearest CW, purchased one replacement hose, put it on, and everything is back to normal. Will replace other one this afternoon.

Further reading of technical material shows that each of our Type 1 ACME hoses has a thermocouple inside the orifice, that will shut down the hose if pressures exceed 1750 psi, or temps exceed 240 degrees. I am pretty sure the latter was not the cause, and don't know if turning the tank on suddenly after two months being shut down might have caused the first. Either way, both hoses had shut down due to one of these parameters, which started the whole venture.
Anyway, now the heat works and I can have my morning biscuits and gravy before walking the dog. Hope this information can help someone else.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Kinda sounds like Carol was right??? Seriously though, good info in that who would have thought to check the lines themselves?? Now I can justify that little propane campfire thingy. Babe, my forum buddies gave me the idea that in case the propane lines get plugged, the best way to check them is to hook the cylinders with the lines up to an external device, namely propane campfire..........Sounds good to me, ya think???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I wonder if those hoses can be "fixed" by blowing compressed air through them backwards to open something back up?? Might be nice to have them for emergency spares.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Thanks for the update and glad you got it working.
Happy Birthday Marine.
Semper Fi,
Old 11-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #12
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
231 Years Young Top!
Semper Fi, Mac

And no, it wasn't spiders.