Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
3400RL Furnace

Where is the return air located? The floor register in front of the frig is not blowing hot air. Please tell me thats the return. How long did it take for your furnace to quit making that new furnace smell when it heats up. Mine has cycled at least 10 times and I am still smelling it. Does yours turn off and on quite a bit? Maybe 10 minutes off and 3minutes on. Guess I'll leave the windows open and let it cycle a few more times to see if it jelps.

mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Looks like the return air is under the steps. When I took the floor register up there is plenty air blowing thru but nothing to deflect it up. Must be a straight duct run front to back. Seems to heat pretty evenly so I am not going to worry about it. The smell is getting better after about 20 cycles. At 50 degrees its on for 5 min and off for 5 minutes. Sure does cycle alot but it holds the temp within a couple of degrees.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As mtpocket2 said, it's the grille below the bottom step. The vertical grille. The outlet not blowing hardly any air at all at the end of the counter, near the stairs, is "normal" for the 3400RL. That doesn't mean I like it, it only means they all do that.

One thing that helps is to replace the registers with the adjustable type. Partially close the others and leave that one wide open. The opening is a standard size so you can buy the registers at Lowe's/Home Depot. I did have to very slightly trim away linoleum around the opening on a couple of them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Didnt think of that. Good Idea. Thanks. Oak registers might dress it up a little too.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Not to be devils advocate, but it must have something to do with the furnace being relocated into the basement. My register between the island counter and the stairs blows hot air full force. I actually love it as I stand on it with my socks on to warm up my feet during the early spring and late fall months of boating.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Ditto what Dave said. When I saw the move of the furnance in the late 05's and the added storage where it once was, I was envious. But after reading some of the comments, I'm happy with mine the way it is.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Dont get me wrong. I am not unhappy with the way it is now. The floor is pretty warm throughout the tana. Seems to heat evenly. I just thought maybe somethig was not hooked up. The only thing I would like is for the heater not to cycle as much as it does.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:24 AM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
mtpocket2, that is a heat loss thing. Typical when outside has little radiant heat, sounds like the 50 degrees your indicating might have some wind and little sun to offset the outdoor temperature. 5 minutes is pretty short period of time tho...I'm setting off today for Watkins Glen and will see how often mine cycles to refresh my memory on whats typical.
Glen has a typical response for this concern, drive south till it goes away. Some of us still have to work to keep our Monty...driving south not an option for us.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:14 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I thought I read a while back that you can change the cycling times/degrees on the Duo-Therm thermostat. Not sure on that...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
You may want to get behind the panel in the basement where the heater is and check the connection of the heat duct tubes. When I got back there on our new 07 I had to reconnect some and then duct tape them to the heater unit as all were very lose. After that we had great flow out of all the heat registers. As for the new smell, we turned the heat up to 80 one day at home and let it run most of the day (5 to 6 hours). That helped to get most of the smell out. Have placed coffee grounds in containers in a couple of placed too to help reduce the new camper smell. But the best way to reduce the smell is to keep the vents open, and when nice outside we open the windows and door when sitting at home.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
On ours, they left some plastic somewhere, it really stunk when on, I tore it all apart, couldn't find it anywhere, it got better and now it's fine. Probably some plastic wrapping that got sucked into the heat exchanger.
***Another good reason to install a filter in the return air grill.****
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:03 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Return air grill install:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0689.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0688.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/100_0692.jpg
Old 09-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just to add to the thoughts. While the newer location does seem to reduce air at that one outlet at the end of the kitchen island, it also increases significantly the heat to the bedroom area. I suspect that was the reason for moving the furnace although I don't know that. We have plenty of heat from the living room registers and the bedroom register and the bathroom register. It's just that one at the end of the island that seems to get shorted. This move fixed the problems many of us complained about having a very cold bedroom in cold weather.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #14
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We have two of those wooden grills. Does that mean two cold air returns? We get no heat at all from the register in the kitchen infront of the ref.
Noticed this today when we had to turn the furnace on. Don't remember using the furnace before.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Balancing the airflow from your furnace can be done by getting the adjustable floor vents, (Like Steve suggested) and regulate the total airflow with the built in dampers of the floor registers. Start by shutting all 1/2 way, the end run ones, (Front and back) 3/4 or more shut. Then go feel all the airflow from the rest, you can balance the system that way.
If they did it right, they would have a large duct in the middle, then progressively smaller as the ducting ends.
But they did it the easy way and just ran same size ducting. The duct has two 90 degree turns going upstairs, which slows the airflow, but heat rises, and is light in weight, so it goes up there nicely.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #16
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Filter is a good idea too. Man you guys make me work too hard. Smell is all gone but it did smell like plastic. I like the head south option but I am one of the unlucky ones that still have to work. I will have to check into the cycle times and see if its in there somewhere. I will say compared to our TT this one heats much more evenly. Looks like its about a two degree drop that makes it cycle. Our TT was probably around 8 which was too much. You would get cold than warm. Didnt care for that. Slept like a baby last night so cant say what it did for sure.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #17
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

You may want to get behind the panel in the basement where the heater is and check the connection of the heat duct tubes.
I haven't ventured into this area yet and probably should. Can you tell me where this panel is, in the basement, where you got to the heater? Is it just attached with screws, or do I have to something more extreme to get into the heater? Also, is the water pump in the same area? I'd like to get in there to fix vibrating and rubbing pipes. Thanks.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Balancing the airflow from your furnace can be done by getting the adjustable floor vents, (Like Steve suggested) and regulate the total airflow with the built in dampers of the floor registers.
A dumb question that I need to ask. With the air return right in front of the vent, wouldn't the air just come out of the vent and go straight into the return? Do you think it might just be better to close that vent off? Just a thought but I'm thinking that this might make the heating system more efficient? Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Naaa, the return isn't that strong, it pulls in a mixed airflow from the trailer. The key is to get an equal amount of supply air, coupled with heating the extreme 'corners' where the unit needs the heat. it's all about comfort first, efficiency second.
On the 3400Rl, (like mine) the compartment is to the left of your hook up center. Remove Screws, bend the white plastic around the pipes and it will come off. Secure the wires with wire ties while in there, also check to insure the little aluminum covered foil ducting is secure.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
We don't get heat out of ours either at the end of the Counter - and I did change the vent covers to Oak - it does dress it up, and we also close vents we aren't using (ie when the couch is at the back and covers up that vent anyway, and the one near the bed - which seems to blow the hottest air always.

Just wanted to throw that in here

Chaser #2310
2006 3400
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote