Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Progressive helper spring kits

Does anyone have any experience with progressive helper spring kits such as (http://www.huskyspring.com/3-leaf-pr...it_p_1699.html) ????? If so, do you have an opinion regarding these versus airbags???? I did a topic search and didn't come up with much info.

Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Pete, When I got my 2500 Chevy I had a set of helper springs put on. With the trailer it rode fine but without the trailer it drove stiff as a tank. Perhaps you could tell us what you are towing and with what?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
With our F250 we had both on...I would not use the air bags again but the helper springs were great for towing....also could adjust them down when not towing....still does not give you the stability of a Dually. But a lot better than without them....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Personally I picked air bags for their flexibility. Mine can be inflated from their 7psi minimum to a maximum of 100psi for the best flexibility of support. My take was a fixed spring like what you mention or a Timbrens style helper was there all the time and you must live with whatever the height it settled on.

I have used air bags from 30 psi to 70 psi (well within the range of usage) to control the aspect and keep the headlight aim down. Whatever the psi the ride is smoother and solved the chucking and trembling problems I was having. While the fixed hardware would probably help with the load, I don't feel they would provide the flexibility like air bags.

That's my opinion.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm with Art ... air bags are easily adjustable, easy to install, and I feel pneumatically absorbs alot of the road shock that any leaf spring transmits on up to what's being towed.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
This is just a thought, but many of the vehicles that we tow with are older models, some with many tow miles. Springs wear out just like any other part, more quickly when we use them to the maximum. If anyone considers replacement, they can be made just slightly heavier by a spring shop. That's my 2 cents.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Just consider that whatever you do, the weight ratings for your truck do not change, because it's not necessarily the springs that determine the weight ratings. They help or improve the ride and that's it. There are many other parts of your truck and many of these are not obvious, apparent or documented. Salesmen will tell you otherwise, but consider the source. Salesmen are trying to make a buck. If something fails later, it's the owner's responsibility and liability.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
When I had my Dodge 2500 I had a set of Super Springs installed. I loved them. Unless I had a heavy load on they did nothing and I had a factory ride. Some people say they are noisey???? I never heard noise and they did not move or rattle. They basicly turn a 2500 into a 3500 since that is the only difference in the 2 trucks is the 2 extra leaf springs....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I had the extra springs on both a Surbaban and Bronco some time ago. They worked wonderfully when pulling the camper, but when solo, the ride was quite hard. Now I think I'll go with the air bags, so I can deflate them when not hooked up. Never tried them before, but I've heard lots of good tales about them.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
SteelPony... for my model year pickup besides the leafsprings, I needed larger wheels and tires, too. If one has enough forethought and they have purchased their 3/4 ton truck with 1 ton wheels and tires then that's usually half the battle.

When I talked to the air bag company and they confirmed this is why they declare no change in weight ratings, because it may not be just the springs. They are more concerned if an air bag fails! This happened to me, but since I was looking for ride comfort, I was able to continue towing since the rest of the hardware was doing its job. The air bag failure turned out to be an air pressure module (there are two) of the air bag system. Firestone sent me TWO new ones free of charge very quickly. Unfortunately I was already on the road and didn't replace the one until after I got home. The other new one remains a spare.

In my state this is a legal way to increase the RAWR, GVWR and corresponding CGVWR, but this does NOT always work out this way for some model and years of truck. I must mention that unless you get your truck recertified (new VIN to match the new ratings), you can only use this rating for personal use and property. For example, if I tow for someone else, I must still use the numbers on the pillar. Other states are supposed to honor your personal use, too, however your state may vary. It's about the spirit of maintaining weight ratings on your vehicle and as Ozz proved, the attitude of the officer (right or wrong).
Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Thanks to all for the good feedback. I am not attempting to increase the capacity of the truck but I do get a little sag in the rear when hooked up. I've been towing fine like this for a few years but now thinking I'd like to decrease the sag so the headlights stay properly aimed. If the manufacturer can convince me that the ride when uloaded is like the factory ride I think I will try out the progressive helper springs.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote