Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #21
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The engine may be able to handle the weight but the rest of the truck is wholly inadaquate. If anyone has ever seen a 1/2 ton frame and a 3/4 ton frame side by side, they will understand. Everything is a whole lot beefier. The 1/2 ton frame is basically an automobile frame.

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Recently had a customer shopping for a Toy Hauler 5er. Three axles, 15000 lbs dry. He had a Toyota 1/2 ton p/up, rated at ten thousand lbs. Made him extremely angry when I Told him he needed more truck. He abruptly told me that the trk salesman told him it would tow anything, and if I didn't want to sell him a trailer he'd just go somewhere else.I slept very well.
The truck salesman will tell him the truck will haul anything (TV commercials with the same trucking pulling the Space Shuttle down the road only boaster the salesman's claims) and the trailer salesman will tell the same guy that he has enough truck for what ever trailer he has on the lot and is trying to sell. All either one of the care about is making the sale in most cases.

In some cases it is greed on the salesman part but in a lot of cases, just like the potential customer the salesman just doesn't know. When shopping for a new daily driver pickup last year I was not worried about payload since I did not need the truck for hauling huge weights or trailers. But almost everywhere I went one of the first thing out of a salesman mouth (pick any brand) was how the truck could do almost anything. The Toyota Salesman (2 weeks on the job) tried to tell me the Tundra will pull the Monty and "I would not even know it is back there". Exact quote! I decided to play along and started asking about GVW & GCVW. The way he looked at me I thought I grew a 2nd head or something. He did not even know that the 10k# claim was with a specific package. He thought it was all Toyota Trucks! When I went to Ford I looked at the 3/4 tons out of curiosity even though I know I was getting a 1/2 ton. Keep in mind I am a Ford man so it was very heartbreaking for him to tell me there is no difference in Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight and Truck carrying capacity.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This accident happened close to Fancy Gap on I77. I live about an hour from there and hear about the accidents on Fancy Gap. We here about tractor trailers and campers being blown over, a police man that went to check on a stooped car and was blown over the guard rail. I had a 6 foot long 2X10 that was sucked out of my truck while I passed a tractor trailer. A fiver is no match for Windy Gap no matter if you are within all weight limits. Fancy Gap is in Virginia on the North Carolina border. Be very careful on Fancy Gap The life you save could be yours.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
After each winter season we hit the Cat scales because Kat is kinda like Lucille Ball in the Long, Long Trailer. She really does like to collect rocks and dirt. Once we weigh, we decide what to get rid of. Most of the time, I have to get rid of something I have...Oh well...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote