Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
? for MIMF and others

The fellow next to me has an '05 3295RK. Made contact with him and he showed me the scissor jacks he is planning to install just rear of the landing legs.

After asking why, because to me it seems redundant, he told me that his manual says that the landing legs are not meant to support the 5er for extended periods of time. Made me wonder!

He told me that last winter, after storing for about 5 months, the landing legs had retracted an inch or so and that there was hydraulic fluid in the tray.

Any thoughts?

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Two seperate sitations
Landing gears are ELECTRIC, 12 volt!!.
Overfilled or loose hose on the slide hydraulic system, if the slides were in the tank would be a little fuller.
As far as scissor jacks
I put scissors jacks just in front of the wheels, that is about 1/2 way.
I mounted them to the frame, with the same self tapping screws that hold the plasticto the bottom of the Monty.
with the pin stablizer the mid and rear jacks, very little movement in the unit.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Duh!!! Didn't stop to think it through. Thanks.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not go through the trouble and expense of purchasing /installing sicssor jacks...However we do have 4 heavy duty jack stands that we place behind the front landing gear and between the rearest wheels and the rear stablizers on extended stays. We find they do provide some stabilization. We also use the hitch pin stablizer for extended stays. We did note the the front landing gear settled some the first year we stored the 3400 as the legs of the hitch pin stablizer were pushed about 2 inches into the ground.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #5
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Folks, the only way electric landing gear will allow the front of the coach to settle down out of level is, if the switch to operate them has been depressed. Those legs are designed to be the sole support for the front of the coach. As long as they were installed properly on the production line at the factory. If not, that is where the manufacturers warranty takes over.

The only exception to this rule is hydraulic landing gear legs. Those things have a whole complete different set of physics rules! Even then, as long as they are installed properly, they will support the weight of the coach. In both types of systems, things will break.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:50 AM   #6
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
After seeing the commercial stabalizers, I decided to make my own. They work very well, but there was still some flex in the frame. To correct this, I put a pair of scissor jacks in front of the wheels. It took care of almost all of the shaking. There will always be some unless you permanently put it on a foundation.

Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:06 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Heh Rich, we all know you put the extra jacks in so people won't notice the camper shaking when THAT bird is chasing you all around!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
MIMF(2),
Do you know the correct size and length for the bolts that connect the square tube to the reduction gear. Lost one today and want to replace it. Also going to put the self (nylon) locking nut on it this time.
Thanks,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We found the scissor jacks don't help a lot on the horizontal side to side movement. But they totally stop the vertical up and down bouncing. That's probably true of the jack stands, too, assuming they're screwed up snug.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
John, The bolts for the cross shaft at each end where they connect to the shaft of the gear pack assemblies are 1/4-20X2" zinc plated grade 8 hex-head bolts. The nut is a 1/4-20 nylock. Some folks refer to them as aircraft nuts. You should be able to find these at any hardware location. Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's, etc. etc.

Just incase you need to know what that spec means, the bolt is 2" long from the bottom side of the head to the tip at the threaded end. It is 1/4" in diameter with 20 threads per inch of lenght of thread.

I other words, the bolt you will physically see will have 1" inch of smooth shoulder from the head to the threads and then 1" of threads from the shoulder to the tip.

If you have any further questions, John, or anybody, you know how to find me.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Thanks MIMF,
Note for Members Check the NUTS. Mine was not the NYLOCK type and that is why it came loose and failed.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote