Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Electric Water Heater Reset ??

We have been using LP to heat Hot water for the last couple of months due to the high cost of electric in the New England area we were staying ($.21 KW).
Anyway, been on electric HWH for the last few days as we travel. This morning the water was only lukewarm, it's been hot til now, seems like ot failed overnite. Seems like the electric was not working. Checked fuse and breaker, both OK.

Did a search and was reminded of the "reset" switches on the outside HWH compartment. Pressed those and could hear a slight hiss as the element seemed to be heating up again.

Finally a question(s), what circumstances would cause the electric HWH to trip and require an outside "reset ???
What should I look for as a fix if this continues to occur ??

Nothing else in the 3400 was malfunctioning, and there was apparently no power spike or brownout.

Thanks for any insight.

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I am interested in the same question as Jerry asked. The circuit breaker pops when I try to run the hot water heater on the electric side.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Pete
First guess is the circuit breaker may be weak. They were never meant to replace an on/off switch. Poor design across the rv industry. Hate it every time I have to use it as a switch. Dont know how to tell you to test it except get a replacement and see if it stays on. If it does it wont hurt to have a spare.

jpf
Is it possible you may have had some air in there which caused it to overheat. I would think it would have some kind of thermal limit switch that would trip if it gets too hot. I know the temp on mine could be turned down. It gets hotter than anybody could stand.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
mtpocket2: Although some use the panel breaker to turn the electric option of their hot water heater on ... you are aware of the small rocker switch inside the exterior hot water heater cover?? Although kinda hard to access, it eliminates having to trip the breaker. Some of us have installed a lighted 20 amp wall switch inside the fiver to control the electric option of the hot water heater.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Yep I was aware of it. I use it in the winter to make sure the heater does not get accidentally turned on after winterizing. Kind of a pain. I like the lighted switch idea. Where did you place yours? How accessible was it to run the wiring?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
mtpocket2: Here's a photo of my switch "middle" although my fiver is a 2980. It's pretty straightforward no matter where your water heater is ... find the 2 wires going to the rocker switch we have talked about ... find which one is the power line using a voltmeter ... after removing the power, cut that line and put the switch inbetween using a couple of lengths of properly sized wire. Some have simply gone to Lowe's and installed the lighted 15 amp switches sold there ... the element in the 10 gal water heater pulls a boatload of amps, for peace of mind, I went to an electrical supply house and got a 20 amp lighted switch and installed it in a regular switchbox that has the swing out attachment ears ... "oldwork switchbox".
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Nice and neat. I like it and have added it to my list. Thanks.