Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
A/C problem -- Immediate need

Here is the problem. I have moisture around all my A/C vents. This is the first time it has happened to my knowledge. It has been raining here recently but only cloudy today. The thermostat temp was 77 degrees and the thermostst was set on 73. We were cooking a cassarole in the oven and I had the stove vent fan going.

The hallway ceiling vent was open and the Fan-tastic Vent was running so as to create a draft across the kitchen area.

I cut the A/C, opened many windows, and mopped up all the moisture which took many paper towels. It quickly moved up to 80 degrees. I am at a loss to know what might be causing this. We did have repairs to this A/C unit recently. Service folks replaced the evaporator coil. Is it possible I am short of freon. I know sometimes units will freeze up, but I am not sure of the cause.

Need some A/C guys to the rescue.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
With ultra high humidity levels, your vents will 'sweat' think of them like an Ice tea glass...dew point and all that stuff.
If your Rv was shut up completely, no outside air coming in, the vents would eventually stop, because the humidity level would lower.
If you run the fan on high, this will help stop the sweating, lower fan speeds drop the coil temperatures..
Good luck. (All this is predicated on a system in good repair, and can be affected by things you haven't shared with us, or the unknown....Sound like and attorney?.)
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks for the input, Ozz. Before you posted, I turned on the unit again. Cold air seemed to be coming out but the temperature only dropped one degree (81 to 80) in 30 minutes or so. Then I noticed the registers were beading up with water again along with the ceiling around the registers. I turned it off again. Shortly after, I read your post. So I buttoned up, i.e., turned off the Fantastic vent fan and closed the hall/bath vent. Then I turned on the bedroom unit. The temperature has dropped 2 or 3 more degrees in the living room. There is no moisture around the BR unit. Could it be that the main unit is not pulling off the humidity and discharging it as it should?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Stiles, the way to tell if your unit is working well is to check the temperature drop across the coil, that is the temperature at the output of the closest vent, or the dump discharge grill under the unit, then check the temperature of the incoming air, or the room temperature. You should have around 20-28 degrees, depends on the unit and application.
If you really want to dehumidify, and it is not too warm in your space, run a heater with the A/C unit.
If a person has a cool space, & high humidity, the thermostat will cycle the compressor off before it dehumidifies the space, thus the heat input to the space. Your compressor may cycle off, and the fan may run, masking the sound of the compressor so that you think the compressor is still running. That is if you run the fan on continuous. I like to run the fan on 'on when using the A/C unit, no air stratification, more even temp's all around the house/trailer.
Good luck.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:20 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ozz, It looks as if you analyzed the problem well. I evidently was pulling extra moisture into the unit while trying to make sure I was pulling it out. So maybe we should not run the Fantastic Vent Fan vigorously on extremely high humidity days.

After using the BR A/C for a while, I turned the main unit on and it began to cycle normally without collecting the condensation. This morning all seems to be cycling normally without operating the BR unit. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:22 AM   #6
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Stiles, since you recently had service to the unit, I would suspect that the discharge tube for condensation was mis-routed during that service allowing all of the moisture to collect somewhere it shouldn't.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
qqranch, That, too, was one of my early concerns. However, I investigated the "puddle" at the rear of the coach and it was about normal. It has been functioning normally all day with no wet ceiling or registers.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I had a simular problem once and the drain path was blocked. Forget what was in it but water puddled up inside the condensor and leaked to the inside.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote