Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Good article on water filtration

I've been reading up on water filters and such and found a good read.
I suppose many of you know a lot of this already, but I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

http://www.phrannie.org/water.html

Back to my search...

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Ozzie, I'll check it out.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Thanks for that one, very enlightening.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Very good article. Thanks for sharing.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

I've been reading up on water filters and such and found a good read.
I suppose many of you know a lot of this already, but I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

http://www.phrannie.org/water.html

Back to my search...
I believe phred and The Water Filter Store are friends.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
That could very well be Orv - they both provided a lot of good information and I was able to order good quality parts to upgrade my water supply line.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:52 AM   #7
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
OZZIE--Would you be willing to share just what components you decided to order to upgrade your water supply system? While I found that article you shared to be very informative, I also found it discouraging--it seemed to shoot down the system I was expecting to setup, namely the two large filters (sediment and charcoal) setup outside the rig. While the article seems to support putting in a large outside filter for sedimentation removal, sounds like I need to find some way to keep it out of the sun or it will become a breeding ground for bacteria. And not sure what way to go with the charcoal filters. I guess it might make sense to go with a good sized, combined solid and activated charcoal filter, but where to put it in the system--the article makes it sound wasteful to run all the incoming water thru that charcoal filter, but not sure where else to stick a really big charcoal filter that will filter the drinking and shower water and not filter the toilet water.

Guess my thinking filters are all clogged up with information overload. How does one best juggle all these competing considerations?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:46 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
David,
I don't believe the article was shooting down what you are intending to do. What it was trying to point out is that "just any old filter" is not what you want. Your front filter, the one to remove sediment, doesn't have to be an extremely good one (I use a standard filter--cost about $15 a pair at CW but you can buy them at Wal-Mart. But your second filter should be a good one. Charcoal filters are good, carbon filters much better--the lower the filter number, i.e. 5 or less, are good. The lower the number the better filtration. We have been using the Hydro-life filter with its replacements for six years now and have been really satisfied with these filters. What phred was trying to say is that we shouldn't rely on merely having "a filter" in our water line input. We also filter the water going into our tank but I don't worry about "little unwanted things" getting into my tank while filling it. I am however, going to put a filter on my pump inside the rig, eventually (when I have the money).

Orv
Old 12-26-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Interesting article - we are just using outside filter so hopefully junk won't get in our lines - as per a previous thread, we carry drinking water and refill when we run out at Wallyworld or Glacier vending machines, etc. Our "to buy" list is getting so long after reading everything on this forum that all the extras might cost us more than the rig!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:09 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I would be happy to share David.

Everything is about choices, isn't it? To what extremes do you want to take it? You can filter every faucet individually and drive yourself crazy, or you can settle for a good sediment filter and use bottled water for consuming (a good choice too).

I made the choice to filter the everything on the outside (and can maintain easily) and come up with a mounting system to hang it under my slide. Not a biggy to keep it out of the sun.
I want to have chlorine fumes reduced at the shower and don't want Guardia floating around in my lines, so the system I opted for is 2 standard 10" filter cases and the 1 micron filters, RV-SED1 for sediment and the CBC-KDF (solid carbon) for healthy lines. I was going to go with the RV-KDF/GAC (granular carbon) for intermittent use, but the reduction in flow changed my mind. We'll see how that works out.
Water pressure (regulation) will be handled by 3/4" plumbing parts for flow along with a Watts N55B regulator.
Everything is geared towards not losing flow, but in the end I would rather lose a little flow to be safe.

The challenge is going to be keeping those filters safe between uses as we are not fulltimers.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Orv--I'm sold on the idea of having the first line of defense being the inexpensive sedimentation filters (perhaps a pair to be on the safe side) to filter everything coming from the CG. Bruce's idea of putting them under the slide to keep them out of the sun makes sense. As for your Hydro-life filter, does that go outside and does it filter all the water coming thru your water line? If so, how long do those filters last? If and when you put something inside, what would you do and where would you put it?

Bruce--thanks for the great info. Can I ask where you are getting your filters from, how long they last, and what do they cost? As for your water pressure regulator, am I correct in assuming that you are installing that downstream of your filters so as to not unduly restrict your incoming water pressure? Glad I'll be fulltiming to start with so I don't have to deal with the added complication of what to do with the filters when they are not in use.

Thanks much for the help. So much to learn!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
David,
I do the same as Bruce. I try to keep mine out of the sun also (they aren't that expensive that they can't be replaced, though). All my filtering is done outside. the two filters are connected together with brass fittings. I have been using this setup for six+ years now with no difficulties. I change my good filter once a year and check the other one twice a year. If a person is not full time, I would think the filters would last indefinitely.

As for putting something inside, we use a Brita pitcher (which makes three filterings) and use that water to drink, cook, etc. We used to use only the Brita pitcher but after using the two outside filters we'd never be without them. The water across the country sure varies. Some is good, some very good, and some veeeerrrry bad. I don't think, right now at least, that we will be putting anything else inside.

Orv
Old 12-26-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
David, I bought the filters and the regulator from the RV Water Filter Store:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABPressure.htm

The 10" canisters I got from EBay as I found them cheaper than anywhere else.
As far as the order, as long as the sediment filter is first I don't think the order matters much. The sediment filter I bought has a flow rate of 3-4 gallons per minute, and the carbon has 3 gallons per minute.
The plumbing parts are all 3/4", the regulator is also 3/4" and high flow (6-9 gallons per minute) and is adjustable to much higher pressure levels than you would dare to use in a trailer.
Logic would dictate the lowest flow component will control the overall flow and since these filters are both 1 micron I feel it's worth the protection.

I may also add an under counter unit for drinking water, but so far I use a pitcher filter inside like Orv (plus a Pure faucet filter that I question it's effectiveness).
Orv definitely has more time using his setup than I do (since I'm just rebuilding mine), and from what he is saying in this thread it sounds like I'm on the right track.

Keep in mind this water regulation only limits the pressure - if your campsite has low pressure, you may want to filter the water into your holding tank and use your pump.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

Keep in mind this water regulation only limits the pressure - if your campsite has low pressure, you may want to filter the water into your holding tank and use your pump.
Ozzie,
Exactly what I do. If the water pressure from the spigot is less than 40#, I use my on-board tank and my 5.7 pump. Gives me 65 psi.

Orv