Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
Bobcat
Established Member

M.O.C. #6048
Location of studs

I know Ozz said to check the dew, but we do not have any at this time. So I looked at Keystone's diagram of the framing. In the diagram there is no studs between the door and the propane tanks.
Would you say this is good info? If not can anyone estimate the measurement on the location of their dryer vent?
I am so happy , my Whirlpool washer and dryer will arrive Saturday. Will be separating the doors and installing the 220 plug in prep of arrival.

Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hey Bobcat! From the topic I thought you were looking for me!

If you download the Montana brochure from the website, they have a pic of a Monty frame sitting out in the field. I've used it more than once to wiggle my way around the studs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am in the same spot.. Need to put a hole in the side of the 3400 for the W/D and I am hesitant to trust any of Keystones diagrams..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Wouldn't those stud finders work? Don't they use density for finding them? I'd think you could find them from either the inside or outside.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I would think if you used the variable type you could get it to work.
I've tried on mine with some success, but these aren't framed like houses, so it is a little odd around openings.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bobcat
Keystone assured me there are no studs on the outside wall of the w/d closet in our 3400. Two different service people at Keystone told me that. I use to work for the government so I always make several call to see if I get the same info. Best 2 out 3 usually wins. LOL
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Folks, You can purchase a stud finder that has a metal detection setting....that should do what your concerned about! I have one although have not used it for detection of Al framing in my Monty. It works great for locating the sheetrock nails or screws in the stick house.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
Bobcat
Established Member

M.O.C. #6048
Thanks for info, I guess we will be cutting this next week. Will let you know how it goes.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Jack Neihouse

M.O.C. #5950
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Neihouse
I don't know if Keystone even knows where the studs are. I was sitting in my recliner several months ago and happened to look up at the cabinet over the sink in my 2955RL. I thought it was leaning a little bit. When I looked closer at the top there was a 3/4 to 1-inch gap where the cabinet was pulling away from the wall. There was very little weight in the cabinet itself even though there is a turntable in it that my wife keeps spices on. When I checked the screws holding it to the wall there were only 2 on the top and 2 on each side (inside). Because the end cabinet is cantilevered and somewhat attached to the remainder of the cabinets they, too, were starting to pull away from the wall. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem, but my solution was to put two 1 1/2-inch turned posts at the edge of the cabinet by the sink (it also adds a little decoration to area). I also put construction adhesive on the frame next to the wall and put heavier screws in.
Jack Neihouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Jack Neihouse, probably no cause for alarm, but one of the areas that showed damage when our frame broke was that the walls moved downward. It made it appear that the cabinet had pulled away from the wall when it was the other way around. Ours was a 2004.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote