Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Propane Refill Question

Wednesday I took off one propane tank to refill. I didn't make it home until almost midnight so I left the refilled tank off the trailer overnight.

Thursday morning I went out to the trailer to install the refilled tank. I found a not so welcome surprise when I arrived. The tnak still hooked up to the unit had been leaking all night and was almost empty. The smell of propane was overwhelming when I took the propane cover off the nose cap. It is a miracle the trailer didn't blow up since the furnace was on all night and even when I discovered the leak.

This brings me to my question...I thought you were supposed to be able to take one tank off to get filled and the line would not leak. My tanks are right next to each other so Icould be wrong, but I thought my PDI guy told me it was ok to take one off and leave the other open.

Okie Phil

P.S. on a lighter note the lady was nice enough to refill my 2nd empty tank for free when I explained to her what happened.

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It is OK to unhook 1 tank but be sure to turn the switch on the regulater to the tank being used otherwise you have a leak.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
My Monty has a tank on each side, and one connector does leak when removed. Even with the switch on the regulator to the other tank. I believe it's a problem with the connector that does not seal when unhooked. I just turn off the other tank when I refill.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. I just had to refill one tank. Turned the selector valve to the tank that was being used removed the empty one and had it refilled, no propane smell....nothing leaked.It does not make sense that it would be normal for the in service tank to leak if the empty one is disconnected. I have done it that way in all my previous campers..never heard of the other tank leaking.I am going to check that out in the AM..If that is the way it is it is a serious safety hazard and I will not be a happy camper..Will also read the book on the regulator. not a good thing if so....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I am able to switch the regulator valve to the full tank. Close the valve on the empty tank, remove the hose connector and remove the tank. No propane leak. Oh, there is just a little residue of propane that's in the hose from the valve to the disconnected tank. But it is insignificant.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I also have never had a problem pulling a tank on an "active" system. We are FTing. No leaks, and I have had one tank off for more than two days once, waiting for a refill. As those above have mentioned - as long as the lever is pointing to the "active" tank...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Okie,

May be a leaking selector valve. It would be worth it to just replace the regulator. They are easy enought to get through Marshall Gas - #250. I just replaced mine last year for other reasons.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Okie, on my 05 unit it would leak like that until I replaced the selector valve. On my 07 it works ok.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:38 AM   #9
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I always switch the selector valve & no leaks. I fill the tank no problems.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Hummm. I just had to refill one tank. Turned the selector valve to the tank that was being used removed the empty one and had it refilled, no propane smell....nothing leaked.It does not make sense that it would be normal for the in service tank to leak if the empty one is disconnected. I have done it that way in all my previous campers..never heard of the other tank leaking.I am going to check that out in the AM..If that is the way it is it is a serious safety hazard and I will not be a happy camper..Will also read the book on the regulator. not a good thing if so....
As Glen said on my previous unit I found if the regulator selector was pointing toward the open line (where the empty take use to be) it would leak a little. If the selector was pointing towards the full tank while the empty one was removed it would not leak. I have not tested the new system yet.
Definitely glad there was no fire or explosion.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 AM   #11
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
If it does leak again with one tank removed with the valve selector positioned as described above, you should still be under warranty, and should have the valve replaced. No sense messing with something which could cause big-time problems...
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:02 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have never had a problem sounds like a defective valve or not quite switched.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #13
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Switch tank selector valve first, then turn the empty tank valve off. then you can remove the empty tank. You have to pressurize the line to make the switch-over. It's the nature of the beast..I did the same thing..was ready to buy a new regulator and by accident figured it out.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks for the response. I did have the switch over to the open tank. I had repositioned the handle a couple of days before I took the tank off the unit. I think I will change the regulator just to be on the safe side. I don't have time to go to the service center and I can have the propane guy look it over when he delivers propane next week. He needs to do something for the buck seventy a gallon they are charging me for our home tank.
Much Thanks
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #15
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
OK, this procedure solved the exact same problem for me. Swirch the selector over to the full tank. Close the full tank valve. wait 1 minute (or so). Close the empty tank valve. SLOWLY open the full tank valve. Remove the empty tank.

If I do it this way, it has yet to leak. If I don't, it will leak about one out of four times. I intend to replace the selector valve in two weeks.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote