Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Damaged spare tire?

Seeking help from tire experts.

I have a 2018 MHC 385BR. OEM tires are Ranier ST 235/80R16

We recently had a blow-out of one of the OEM tires while traveling through Texas. The wrecker service that we called replaced the tire with a new Carlisle CSL 235/80R16. We discussed using the OEM spare to replace the blown out tire, but when we took it off the spare tire carrier, it had four significant indentations from where the carrier bars pressed into it. (Pictures attached.) The service provider indicated the tire was damaged, and did not recommend using it.

1) Based on the pics, do you think the spare is damaged and too risky to use?
2) Is it likely the carrier would do the same thing to a better tire, if I were to replace the spare? (If so, I would likely mount a spare tire carrier to the rear of the trailer.)

Other comments or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2685_LI.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	3229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2686_LI.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	3230  

DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes, I wouldn't use that particular tire. But in addition, Ranier tires are well known for issues and I wouldn't have one on my rig even as a spare.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Agree, I would replace soonest.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Looks like the tire was clamped down so tight it compressed the rubber. Doesn't appear it was rubbing rubber away as the molded in designs are still there. My guess is that the sidewall integrity has not really been compromised and would probably still be OK as a spare. But not one I would run on the ground for any great distance. But I agree with above, and I would get better tires all the way around.

Looks like you must have a tubular frame the tire clamps up to and adds more pressure to a smaller surface. Mine has a flat surface frame it clamps to and distributes the pressure more evenly. I would just tighten the tire until it is snug against the frame without a lot of pressure. And check occasionally to see if it begins to repeat. Many people think for many things that if tight is good, then tighter is better, and tight as humanly possible is great. Just ain't so.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
#1. Having a "blowout" at highway speeds almost always severely damages the opposing tire. It could last a few months but should be inspected for internal damage.

#2. The Carlisle CSL is a steel cased tire. Tires on the same axle should always be of the same size and design. Is the Rainier also steel cased.

#3. I would not risk using that spare. Take it to a tire shop for assessment is my recommendation.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I would take the spare in to a dealer and see you you can get credit on a good replacement tire.

you are going toe make me drop my spare and check now.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
#1. Having a "blowout" at highway speeds almost always severely damages the opposing tire. It could last a few months but should be inspected for internal damage.
This is the exact reason I carry two spares. If you blow one running down the interstate, by the time you get it stopped, the other tire on that side has been carrying all the weight designed for the two. It has been heated and compressed more than it is rated for and most likely damaged. I've had several friends press their luck prior to owning decent tires, and the gamble never paid off. Once to the tune of $11,800 damage.