Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Florida winter West coast RV resorts

Anyone stay on Fla West Coast RV resort Dec,Jan and Feb?We prefer below Tampa anywhere along the southern coast for nice weather leaving behind our long Northeast winter.
This is our first time escaping the cold winter enjoying our new 2018 3731FL Montana.Would appreciate any references of nice campgrounds.
We realize it's kind of late to book for this year but maybe we can catch a cancellation.

Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
First while it is not impossible, you are a little late coming to the game. You will be hard pressed to find openings for the time frame you are talking about. Sarasota and Bradenton, Englewood, Venice areas are booked years in advance and are pricey. The closer to the water you get the more over priced and over crowded it gets. We stay in Arcadia which is about 50 miles inland from the gulf. Follow the link this is where we stay. they "may" have an opening. It is a nice resort, and one of the best values around if you book for the year.

http://www.crosscreekrv.com/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A7&FORM=VRDGAR
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
I realize it is a bit north of Tampa, but we stay at Hillcrest RV Resort in Zephyrhills. It's $525 per month and that includes $60 worth of electricity, which does us most of the time. Lots of activities, nice people, well managed privately owned park.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Whites in Zepherhill's is very reasonable, $2100 US for 5 months of occupancy and you can leave it there year round it you want. Power is on top of that, $100 deposit for that, 30 or 50amp.

Zepherhills is about 20 minutes North on 301 from Tampa/Clearwater...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
If you’re only going for three months, no use paying for a full year. We get the same every year because we reserve for next year before we go home.

Speedster, I heard Whites was sold and Mr. White retired.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Is anyone familiar with Horseshoe Cove RV resort in Brandenton?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Is anyone familiar with Horseshoe Cove RV resort in Brandenton?
Stayed there many years when they were a Carefree park, then Sun took them over and things went down hill. My best advice FLEE. If you found a space there this is why, Every month you are there they will make you move to a different site (they over book a lot). Plus the park is an older park with small narrow short sites and if your coach is longer than 36' you will barely fit then you will need to find a place to park the TV (usually on the dog run), then if you have a dog there is no place to run them because it is now a parking lot. Unless things have changed recently stay away and that goes for Pleasant lake also (not as bad as Horseshoe). Now for the bad news, if you do decide to stay there you will be greeted to the sounds of gunshots at midnight from a gone bad drug deal at the strip mall, the local drag strip at 2am (Caruso Ave.) The trash removal at 3am at the Speedway, the 4am backing of heavy equipment (beep, beep, beep) at the construction site behind the speedway, and just when you are falling asleep the police sirens start. That is why we left there. It wasn't always like that. Overpriced, over populated too much crime, to much traffic. Aren't you glad you ask me.

P.S. Oh I forgot to mention the bumper to bumper traffic 24/7
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Anyone stay on Fla West Coast RV resort Dec,Jan and Feb?We prefer below Tampa anywhere along the southern coast for nice weather leaving behind our long Northeast winter.
This is our first time escaping the cold winter enjoying our new 2018 3731FL Montana.Would appreciate any references of nice campgrounds.
We realize it's kind of late to book for this year but maybe we can catch a cancellation.
I would suggest you get the free app "RVPARKY" or a similar one and start calling now. In the last month we put our names in at a few CG's in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area that said they were booked from December to April. Two have called so far because they had cancellations and offered us a spot. We took a site at Upriver RV Resort in North Ft. Myers.

We have been coming to Florida for awhile and actually moved here a few years ago (now selling home). IMHO if you stay south of Sarasota in the winter you have steady sunshine and warm temps all winter long. That is not to say you won't have 60's and 70's north of there but we like it warmer.

If you want nice sites, a nice pool, and tons of activities in a CG in SW Florida expect to pay between $900 and $1,400 per month for the winter season. If this sort of thing is in your wheelhouse then I would start by immediately calling the following to get on a list:

Upriver RV Resort, N. Ft. Myers 239/543-3330
Riverside RV Resort, Arcadia (closer to Punta Gorda) 877/570-2267
Tamiami RV Park, N. Ft. Myers 239/997-2697
Siesta Bay RV Resort, Ft. Myers 888/466-1292

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I live in SWFL so I don't snowbird here. But, I have stayed at the following a few days and would consider them: Rambler's Rest, Harbor Lakes, Royal Coachman, and Sun-n-Shade. Have not stayed at Red Coconut or Turtle Beach (no dogs) but have heard they're nice. I've found the Park Advisor app is the easiest to use to locate all CGs, resorts, and federal and state parks.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Thanks for the info and we will look into the places everyone has listed.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Our Favorite

Our favorite RV Park is Buttonwood Inlet RV Resort. They are great folks and you will be close to Bradenton without the prices.

http://buttonwoodinletrvresort.com/
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #12
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Thanks we will check it out.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:46 PM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
The wife and I have looked at perhaps getting a small plot of land in central Florida or even the panhandle to snowbird when we retire. Thinking it would be great if we could get a few other couples and make a mini campground for like minded couples.
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote