Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
New USB EVDO Modems: Might want to wait for cables

This is just a heads up to those considering one of the hot/sexy/tiny USB modems that have become available in the past two weeks. (Franklin CDU680, Sprint U727 and Verizon USB727)

3gstore has them and have tested all available antenna adapter cables... and NONE of them fit.

If I were an RVer, I would not want a device I could not attach an external antenna to, so you may want to hold off on the new modems for now.

We do expect to have adapter cables for these new modems soon as we can, but we honestly expect it to take weeks and maybe months before the cables are available in quantity.

Also, FYI. only the Franklin CDU680 currently works with a router. Neither Sprint's U727 or Verizon's USB727 has been found to work with a 3G router, and we have no idea when routers might be updated for compatibility.

For more information about new modems, there is a full review of CDU680 and a 'first look' at U727 on EVDOinfo.com

Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Thanks for that info Alex.

As a side note, I recently got a Verizon PC-5750 Air Card and Linksys WRT54G3G-ST router from Alex. It works very well here at home. D/L 1300 Kbs and U/L 700 Kbs. I haven't traveled with it yet, but suspect it to perform equally well.

Sorry, I'm not hijacking the thread.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
We have a Verizon PC 5750 card, a Keyra router that the card plugs into and a SmoothTalker amp that plugs into the card. It all works GREAT! The smoothtalker boost the cards .5 watt to 3 watts both ways. We've dropped our local ISP because the Verizon card works so well. We taken the outfit on several trips and it has worked at all locations. We very happy campers.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:39 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve...What do you use for E mail????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 AM   #5
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Rick, Sharon and I both have signed up for a web based e-mail accounts. It is working just fine for us.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Just recently we purchased a Kyocera KR1 router and a Verizon Air card. Like S Anderson, we also dropped our cable internet service. It's working great for us!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Router, Sprint air card, cell phones, all web based email accounts, I have 8 (yikes) and Al has 1. Have been using web based email for well over 2 years exclusively. No trouble at all, have AOL web based, yahoo web based, gmail web based and hotmail web based.

Dropped land lines at house and direcway dish for internet at the house, we are UNTETHERED and LOVING IT!!!!

(Note, we have not traveled in the western states, we understand that extended stays out in God's country may have some difficulties with our untethered standings. If we ever get to visit that beautiful heaven on earth, we will deal with it the best we can and chuckle every day at our good luck to have no phone or internet, but fabulous landscapes to feast our eyes on!)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EVDOalex

This is just a heads up to those considering one of the hot/sexy/tiny USB modems that have become available in the past two weeks. (Franklin CDU680, Sprint U727 and Verizon USB727)

3gstore has them and have tested all available antenna adapter cables... and NONE of them fit.

If I were an RVer, I would not want a device I could not attach an external antenna to, so you may want to hold off on the new modems for now.

We do expect to have adapter cables for these new modems soon as we can, but we honestly expect it to take weeks and maybe months before the cables are available in quantity.

Also, FYI. only the Franklin CDU680 currently works with a router. Neither Sprint's U727 or Verizon's USB727 has been found to work with a 3G router, and we have no idea when routers might be updated for compatibility.

For more information about new modems, there is a full review of CDU680 and a 'first look' at U727 on EVDOinfo.com
Someone at 3GStore better get their stories straight. I just purchased the Verizon USB720 and was told it will work with our KR1. At present we are using the USB720 only plugged into the laptop. In had some unrelated 'puter issues which required my 'puter to be in the shop a couple days and therefore have not had a chance to program the KR1 to use the USB.
We were told the USB720 and our KR1 are totally compatible and that an external antenna can be purchased. In fact the 3G tech was going to sell us the external antenna at a $10 discount if I ordered the antenna with the USB. Having a Verizon tower just a few hundred feet away for the next 6 months I didn't feel I needed the external antenna at this time. I do plan on getting one by next summer before we set out on our next trip.
Now we are getting a different story. I am not a happy camper if the above quoted info is correct and the tech lied to us. You better understand that many MOC members have purchased from 3GStore beginning back when you were Booster-Antenna. I myself have recommended 3G many many times and so have many of the MOC members. If you care at all about this MOC customer base and any possible future purchases or recommendations than I would strongly advise getting this matter cleared up ASAP.
You can address this issue through a reply to this post or contact me using my Email link above or in my profile.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Calm down Glenn. (grin) We have the Verizon USB720 and it works great with the router that we all have. I think Alex is talking about a newer one that has just come out. I haven't seen the 727 yet but I expect that it is different then the USB 720. Don't worry, you won't have any trouble with yours.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 AM   #10
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:
Someone at 3GStore better get their stories straight. I just purchased the Verizon USB720 and was told it will work with our KR1.
If you care at all about this MOC customer base and any possible future purchases or recommendations than I would strongly advise getting this matter cleared up ASAP.
Glenn, your USB720 will work fine with KR1. thats an excellent combo.

Its the newer USB727 that will not work with the KR1.

The USB727 was just announced and 3gstore receives its first shipment on monday.

I'm up at 830am on a Saturday morning, reading RV forums and posting new info. I'd say I care about my RV customer base... wouldn't you?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:36 AM   #11
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:have not had a chance to program the KR1 to use the USB.
Glenn, after you read abut it, and before you ask me...

yes, if you want to return your KR1 router and get the new/smaller CTR350 router, you can. you're still within 3gstore's 14 day return policy.

just be sure you are familiar with the gotcha's i wrote about in my post,
and you might also want to check out the full review on EVDOinfo.com
Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks Alex for the explanation. I feel a whole lot better.

My DW will be calling 3G sometime today or tomorrow as she is having a difficult time uploading the USB720 to the KR1.

Thanks again!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Thanks Alex for the explanation. I feel a whole lot better.
My DW will be calling 3G sometime today or tomorrow as she is having a difficult time uploading the USB720 to the KR1.
Thanks again!
you're welcome.
she'll have to call monday. we're closed on weekends.
you're welcome again.