Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Goodyear G-14 tire wear

I am having a little abnormal tire wear, a concave band inner and outer on the tire. Lonnie looked at it and it mirrors tier under-inflation. I have had ample air in them. Last year I kept 110 in all of them, this year I scaled back to the 100# the tire inflation/tire weight recommended on the chart per my weight. I weighed the trailer both last year and this year.
SO, I contacted Goodyear, talked to them today, and they are sending out the regional tire manager guy (don't know his title) to Tonopah when we get there, he will check out my tires and the wear, I will dutifully report back to you Forum member Peeps.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Ozz,

I'll be real interested to see what they have to say.

I've got abnormal wear as well. A concave wear groove on the inside of the driver side tires.

The curb side tires have the same groove but much less. I was thinking it was camber out of whack. Brand new RV with out of wack camber??

Anyway - I'm going into CW this week for some warranty work (blown hydraulic slide piston) and I'm going to report my tire issue as well.

Brand new G614's with 8,000 miles and the shoulder is halfway to being worn thru.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We had that same problem with our trailer. I was told more than once I was either underinflated or overweight which was not the case. I talked with a tech at Dexter and he had no idea what it might be. It turned out to be an alignment problem a combination of camber and toe in being off. We had our axles aligned 4 yrs. ago and everything is fine now.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

We had that same problem with our trailer. I was told more than once I was either underinflated or overweight which was not the case. I talked with a tech at Dexter and he had no idea what it might be. It turned out to be an alignment problem a combination of camber and toe in being off. We had our axles aligned 4 yrs. ago and everything is fine now.
I'm waiting to hear them say the same thing. I carry an air compressor when I travel, all sorts of tire gauges, and run pressure monitors. I run 105 psi and have scaled the rig. I'm not overweight.

I hope they align it and get it fixed. These expensive tires wont last much longer at this rate.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

I'm waiting to hear them say the same thing. I carry an air compressor when I travel, all sorts of tire gauges, and run pressure monitors. I run 105 psi and have scaled the rig. I'm not overweight.

I hope they align it and get it fixed. These expensive tires wont last much longer at this rate.
If you suggest it might be alignment they probably won't believe it's possible
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I'm seeing the same wear Ozz, keep us posted.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This will be good information to have. Everyone let us know what you find.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We lost count of the number of rigs and trailers of all kinds, boat, trailer, utility, that have had camber issues. One travel trailer the entire outside and inside walls on the entry side cracked above both doors! That rig was just over 1 year old when the serious cracks revealed themselves. Like 1 year and 2 weeks. Yep, 1 year warranty.

But, the manufacturer did right by us and did about $3,500.00 worth of repairs to it, and this was back in 1990. Nope, we never hit a chuck hole or ran it up a curb. It happens, they had a percentage that they quoted that they expected the camber to fail, I don't recall the # all these years later.

Does happen, is NOT fun when it does. One of those been there, done that situations.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Greg, I think it is all those cheap solar panels, you should cut them off and toss out in front of Rondo's house tomorrow after we get there
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although by no means quantitative it will give you an idea of what you have. With your fiver as level as can be, take a carpenters level and place it vertically on the outside of your tires ... both sides should be slight bubble out at the top more so on the street side. This will give you an idea of what you have. Like I've mentioned before, mine were a slight bubble in (negative camber)straight from the factory. Again in general terms, wearing the tire only on the outer edge ... too much camber. Wearing on only the inside edge ... to little camber. Feathering the entire face of the tread ... too much or too little toe. I'll stop at over and under inflation signs as not to muddy the water.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Greg, I think it is all those cheap solar panels, you should cut them off and toss out in front of Rondo's house tomorrow after we get there
I think I'll keep them. I might need to start selling power to pay for new tires.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I too will be interested in hearing what the Goodyear guy says. With all 4 of your tires showing the wear on both sides, and your old tires not showing the same wear pattern, I have a hard time believing it could be an alignment problem. Has the problem progressed since I saw them?
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If the old tires didn't show this and the new do, it sure does sound like maybe tires Lonnie
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Lonnie, my 4 tires are doing the same as OZZ. No problem with the old ones either. I saw a unit at the rally that was worn down about 1/4". Looked like you had put them on a lathe and turned down the outer 1/2". If it was low pressure you would think it would be a rounded edge on the tire not a sharp drop off.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #15
Ken Greenleaf
Established Member

M.O.C. #7903
We have the same problem - drivers'side inside edge only. Read somewhere may be called rivering? or river edge? Can't wait to hear what goodyear says.
Ken Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Ozz, maybe it's those highspeed turns you've been making?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #17
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ozz, when you get an answer, please give us a phone number so we can all call this contact. And mention that you have friends experiencing the same unusual wear pattern.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #18
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ken Greenleaf

We have the same problem - drivers'side inside edge only. Read somewhere may be called rivering? or river edge? Can't wait to hear what goodyear says.
Interesting Ken.

We have the same rig and same issue. I have driver side mostly - but a small amount on the curb side.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

I too will be interested in hearing what the Goodyear guy says. With all 4 of your tires showing the wear on both sides, and your old tires not showing the same wear pattern, I have a hard time believing it could be an alignment problem. Has the problem progressed since I saw them?
No Lonnie, it's about the same.
When I talked with Goodyear and explained how we were all fed up with the original junk that came on our trailers, and we were excited that the Goodyear tires gave such reliable performance...until this ugly wear came about. It was then she said that she would have the area supervisor come to me and check the tires. (Again, I don't recall his actual title)
When we get to Flagstaff today, I will see if there is someone there that can come to me, OR, maybe I can get this long truck-trailer into their lot.
We will get some answers.
Thanks to Lonnie and the tire chart, truck scales, and shared knowledge, we are all pretty much informed on tire pressures and weight per tire, so that is covered.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Question:
Do you folks with the tire wear have the X-Factor?
I do, and have a theory that is accelerating the wear by not allowing the wheel/tire to flex. Just a theory.
A second theory is that the G-14 is not made for the trailers and the side rubber is too soft for the turns.
I think the turns are scuffing the rubber.
I called Goodyear Corporate again, and they said to stop while in Flagstaff at a Goodyear Dealer there. I did so, and the tire store manager said he had no clue... But he took pictures and sent them to the District manager.
I will call Corporate again and see if the D.M. can come to Cottonwood AZ. to look at the tires.

That is the update.
I don't like Flagstaff..