Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
Electric heater

A friend of mine has a heater in his Motorhome that I have never heard of. It is a heating element that fits inside the duct of his A/C and is pluged into a 110V outlet. He starts his furnace to get the coach to a comfortable temp., then turns off the furnace and turns on this electric heater. It has its own temp control and fan. Heat is distributed thru out the coach via the A/C duct work. It is not intended to be the only heat source unless you only need a little extra heat.

Anyone ever heard of such a device?

Alan & Kathy

ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Alan,

That concept seems consistent with something I always thought about - an in duct electric heating coil that could operate in lieu of the LP burner. I realize it most likely that 110VAC would never be able to replace the LP, but it might be enought to heat the tanks in the belly and kick the chill off above the floor. It would be interesting to see how they did it.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Does he have an electric cord hanging from a ceiling A/C vent to plug into a 110 outlet near the floor? Doesn't sound very appealiung to me! Floor heater ductwork might be a little better.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
No cord. He said there was an outlet in the duct work for him to plug the unit into. I will try to get the name of the unit. He installed it himself. He said it came with metal screws and a short cord to plug in for 110v.

Alan
Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
That sounds more like the heater strip add on for certain DuoTherm A/Cs - the ones wiyhout a wall thermostat. The control knobs are on the ceiling unit and have a "heat" option. I installed one on our previous TT. They are prettyt good for "taking the chill off" in the mornings.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
You are correct, it was a DuoTherm heat strip system. I misunderstood his installation description. But it did sound like an interesting approach for an electric heat option.

Alan & Kathy
Old 10-02-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The new heat pumps by Dometic would be the better approach I would think.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Neighbor with SOB (an older all metal unit as well) took the guts from a regular 1500 watt electric space heater and then inserted it into his heating system for his trailer. He put it just at the junction point where his propane heater enters the ductwork. This way he can heat using propane but if hooked up to shore power he can use the electric heat and push heat through-out his trailer. Not as warm as the propane (so much smaller) but he says it keeps it warm enough and above freezing. Has had it for 3 yrs this way (this being his 4th fall with it) and has had no problems to date.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I put one in our first small TT, it worked, but the A/C fan is noisy, it blew lukewarm air and I wasn't impressed. I wired in a line voltage thermostat and a remote switch. Used it once....
Hey, some like them. I didn't.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The Duo-therm heat strip is availble, and, at least on our 05 with a Comfort Control Center, there is provision to wire it and control it from the CCC. When you go to buy them you find that they are not for use in "ducted systems". I talked to someone at Dometic about them, and apparently the RVIA no longer approves them for use in ducted systems.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote