Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #21
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Today, I became a victim of the dreaded blowouts everyone hears about with the Goodyear Marathon tires.
We were just about to get into Birmingham when I hear a cannon go off and saw bits and pieces of the camper going every which way,
I stopped to change the tire when another RVer pulled up behind me with a blowout himself.
We worked as a team and helped each other change the tires.
About a quarter of a mile from where we stopped, I took the exit and topped off the diesel and checked all the tires. Everything looked fine so we were on our merry way again.
I no sooner pulled back onto the interstate when I saw smoke in my side view mirror.
Yep, another blowout within two miles of the first one.
I called Goodyear here in Birmingham that specialized in commercial tires. He happened to have the 614s in stock so he brought one out so I could make it to his shop.
As we were fitting the 614s, we discovered that the cords had separated in the other two tires also.
The tires looked great with pressure in them but once the tire was off the rim you could see the true state of it.
He's working with Goodyear now to see if we can get any compensation since the tires had less than one thousand miles on it.

The Montana is a little banged up but we have talked to the insurance company and they will handle the repairs.

I know I was long winded but it is to make a point. If you have the Marathons on you rig, replace them as soon as possible. Don't think that oh well, that will not happen to me. Because it will happen. Sooner or later so be forewarned

hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #22
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
An all-too familiar testimony. Lucky you were able to switch tires on the fly like that. Those that think (like I did) that if they maintain the right pressure in the tire, keep the speed down and balance the weight just right and they'll be ok, are only fooling themselves. I hope your repairs go smoothly and quickly.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:11 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think everybody has a magic formula for using the OEM tires, inflate to 79 1/2 pounds don't drive over 64 MPH don't run over dead opossums. That is all nice trouble is it just doesn't work. The only thing that works is get them off your camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #24
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Hey hybridhauler!!! Hopefully you kept the carcasses of the tires. Goodyear will cover the damage to your RV (and not hit your insurance company) if they see the tires and agree with the tread separation diagnosis. Apparently they are not quick but they do come through as many have discovered.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #25
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
i've had the sailun's on my 16,200 pound 5th wheel since day 1 when i brought the tires to the dealer for install before i drove it off the lot. I researched these tires at length on the internet and couldn't find any bad reviews whatsoever. I have now got over 12,000 miles on these tires and have had excellent results. These tires hold there air very well . Just be sure to run at maximum 110 psi. These tires are speed rated at 75 mph compared to most tires at 65 mph. I drive at 70 mph most of the time but i also have disc brakes for stopping. Good luck.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #26
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Carl, the Goodyear dealer in Birmingham is checking to see what kind of compensation they will allow on the old tires. I sent a note to Goodyear customer service but I am yet to hear from them.

I dropped the RV off yesterday so they can get things repaired for me.
Allstate has bent over backwards to ensure we get everything fixed like new.

Do you have a point of contact at Goodyear?
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #27
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hybridhauler

....I sent a note to Goodyear customer service but I am yet to hear from them.

Do you have a point of contact at Goodyear?......
I run G614s so I have never had a problem and had to contact Goodyear. But many here have. You can do a Search here for the contact point. Here is a post made today by captbanjo about his successful contact.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65929&whichpage=4

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote