Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Power Awning with a tilt

As many of us know, before the age of the electric awning, it was always a good practice to drop one end of your awning a few inches to allow water to drain in the rain. With the electric awning, both ends come out with no way to make this adjustment. However, for those who have the Carefree (bigger heads on the end), there are two different arms.One type arm makes the awning pretty much straight out from the camper, the other allows a slope. Recently had a customer who had the arms that made the awning straight out, wanted his changed to the arms that allowed a slope. In the middle of the change process, one arm changed, one not, the awning, one end up, one end lowered. I rolled the awning in and out, no interference with the operation of the awning. Cost to make the change would be the cost of the arm from Carefree.

Kerry

kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Kerry,

Per the Carefree specs, the straight out awning does not fit the Montana because the front arm is too long. Even though it was my preference to have the sloped arms, they were the only arms that would fit.

I'm confused why anyone worries about the tilt with the electric. They cannot hold water (whether they are the straight out or sloped type). The weight of the water pushes down, the arm retracts slightly with pressure on the gas shock, the water pours out the side, the arm fully extends. I had mine out all weekend in the rain a couple of weeks ago.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
The straight out arm does fit the Montana. Originally the customer wanted the straight out arm, and later changed his mind. ( He didn't like all the water dumping near the door) Don't think the sloped arms will help a whole lot, but a tilted awning would.

Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Great point Brad, that was the first thing I noticed about our new electric. It is a year old now but hasn't had any problems at all. Works great in the rain and even a decent wind just flaps it a bit. We love ours... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hmmm - the install must depend on where the rail is mounted. Using my original rail as installed by Keystone, the flat pitch arms would not fit (67" from rail down). That length put the bottom of the arm down on the trim. The steep pitch arms are 59.5" down from the rail, almost 8" shorter.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave when left out during the rain does the electric awning drain the water off??? We haven't ever left the awning during rain. Guess we will try next time. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote