Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #40
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I agree with a lot of what you have here but the change made some time between the 2005 Duramax and 2009 corrected a problem that caused pump failure without and contamination. The latter one I hear goes to around 400,000 miles without problems.

Also both Bosh and GM will tell you it makes a big difference how the truck is operated. We have a fellow here that hauled cattle interstate and put 600,000 miles on his Duramax 3500 without any major problems. Then got unhappy with the dealer because they wouldn’t take the truck in trade. LOL

GM also advises not to let your diesel truck idle for long periods of time.

You are very correct about the fuel lubricating the pump that’s why I say running one out of fuel is as hard on them as water contamination. At the same time water does have some lubricating qualities. I am not saying it is the same but surly not as lacking in lubricating qualities as air.

As for washing the system out after a pump failure there are outfits hear that change the pump and wash the system without removing the injectors. Then run the truck and replace only the injector that fail. They say they don’t change many sometimes none of them.

These are fleet owners of fleets that do their own repairs. The trucks are used to move well drilling equipment to and from the job ETC.

I was surprised the 2005 ever ran at all after the water event but when I tried to start it started hitting on one cylinder and the rest gradually came on line and was running smooth after about a 15 min run.

Now we are using it and waiting to see what happens.

I don’t get into anything newer than my 2009 Duramax and so far it is doing well.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote