Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Radio Antenna

I have a "04" 3670 RL. The radio reception on the junk system that came with the unit is weak at best. It apperas that the only antenna on this unit is a small portable unit that just sits behind the radio, unless one was left off or I have not located any other one. Has anyone had any experience at installing a automotive type antenna on the outside of this unit. Our radio is in the slide out backed up to the outside wall so wiring would not be a problem. If not an antenna any other suggestions to improve reception.

mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
mperk,
If you remove the screws from the side the unit will slide out. Once it is out you will find a antenna wire which will most likely be coiled up. It should be extended to its full length and reception should be some better on the FM side. We sure can't brag about the entertainment center.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
mperk,
Start with Thunderman's idea of stretching out any coiled antenna wire that may be back there. I once used the metal trim strip that went around the perimeter of my boat for an antenna. It seems that almost any long piece of metal strip can be connected to make a useful antenna.

wingnut
Montana_2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I installed an automotive type spring steel antenna by drilling a hole in the side wall inside where the entertainment center is. The entertainment center, speakers and all, was scrapped and replaced with a Koss. There is a connector that converts the auto style plug to bare wires so you can attach to the receiver. Reception is still not real good because of the fiberglass and alum frame but it is better.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:27 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mperk

I have a "04" 3670 RL. The radio reception on the junk system that came with the unit is weak at best. It apperas that the only antenna on this unit is a small portable unit that just sits behind the radio, unless one was left off or I have not located any other one. Has anyone had any experience at installing a automotive type antenna on the outside of this unit. Our radio is in the slide out backed up to the outside wall so wiring would not be a problem. If not an antenna any other suggestions to improve reception.
On my system, there are two radio antennas. One for AM and one for FM. The AM antenna is the single wire loop that you may be referring to. The FM antenna is a screw on connector that gets its feed from a splitter that is connected to the roof TV antenna. To use it, the roof antenna must be up, and the antenna switch must be pushed in, with the green light on. My FM reception is fantastic!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:35 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
No complaints on ours either. I find, as Mike did, that the antenna must be up and the amplifier turned on. After we are set up we use the music from the sat. dish as it is commercial free.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:42 AM   #7
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will check out all of them and let you all know how it goes
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I asked a couple questions a month or so back about radio reception and found out that my FM is fed by a splitter from the roof antenna. I did find upon further inspection, my AM antenna wire was not fully uncoiled and reception was not very good. I stretch it out and it did improve. However, one must remember that most AM stations are not going to be as good as FM any way. The biggest problem is that the good talk shows are on AM.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #9
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We have 2 antennas, one just a short wire, and the other 2 wires attached to a plastic square. Can sometimes get an FM station, but no AM. When you are talking about one attached to the TV antenna, what has to be attached at the back? Could live with just getting FM.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:08 AM   #10
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by smc

We have 2 antennas, one just a short wire, and the other 2 wires attached to a plastic square. Can sometimes get an FM station, but no AM. When you are talking about one attached to the TV antenna, what has to be attached at the back? Could live with just getting FM.
The plastic square you refer to is likely a push-on F connector antenna adapter. If you pull it off the back of the Quest unit, you may see a threaded F connector. If so, you can add a splitter to the TV feed, and run a coax line to the Quest. The TV and FM receiver can share the same roof top antenna. Reception should be quite good.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:25 AM   #11
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I am responding and adding to Williams post. He mentioned adding a auto antenna and would help a bit but not real good due to the fiberglass. Get one from a MARINE supply like Overtons.com and get one that works on Fiberglass. The ground plane is why an auto antenna does not work well.
I personally like the idea of useing the TV splitter and not drilling holes.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Is it possable to put a splitter at where the antenna goes to the TV and get one of those Radio Shack splitters and use the TV antenna on the RV it was just a thought I was thinking about trying.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:51 AM   #13
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Is it possable to put a splitter at where the antenna goes to the TV and get one of those Radio Shack splitters and use the TV antenna on the RV it was just a thought I was thinking about trying.
Yes. This is how my 2005 is wired. Very easy to do. Buy a splitter and two pieces of coax. Un-screw the coax from the TV, and attach to the input side of the splitter. Run one piece of coax from the output of the splitter to the TV, and the other to the receiver.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
[quote
Yes. This is how my 2005 is wired. Very easy to do. Buy a splitter and two pieces of coax. Un-screw the coax from the TV, and attach to the input side of the splitter. Run one piece of coax from the output of the splitter to the TV, and the other to the receiver.
[/quote]

Wasn't quit sure so I had to ask, Thanks a lot.