Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
otnoel521
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10179
Ladder rung on my Mountaineer

A single rung of my 2010 Mountaineer model 347THT has a crack at the right side where it screws into the ladder. Is this something that can be replaced independently (I would like to do this myself)? If so, where could I get the replacement part?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

otnoel521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
On my previous Montana, I replaced the screws/brackets or whatever. Maybe the rung too. So I am pretty sure it (the rung) can be fixed. I have a good dealer and I think they just looked around outback and took the parts from an old ladder.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are a number of web sites for ladder parts. Just a matter of finding the correct part as there are more than one ladder manufacturer.

etrailer

stromberg carlson

another site
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997
I replaced all the black plastic pieces that go between the rungs and the vertical tubes last year. Most were broken, but I saved a few. There are at least 2 different styles take one off and have your dealer get you a whole new set.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
This past summer I broke the lower rung of my ladder. If you unscrew the first horizontal rung and raise it, you will see the joint. Remove the U-Shape section. Now, the U-shaped section has a tube insert extending both end. This is a 1-piece insert. The extended ends are screwed to the main ladder section. REMEDY: Remove lower U-Shape section. Use a tube cutter and ONLY cut thru the outer sleeve, do not cut off. Now, remove outer sleeve, which should slide off. Now, re-insert the extended part into the main ladder section, bolt it together and reposition step. NOTE: You may have to cut the extensions off to get a fresh start. If you do, cut the outer sleeve back about 4"-6". Remember not to cut thru. While you are working on the ladder, check to see if the mounts have loosened up. That is another process I can walk you thru. Hope this helps.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
If it is only the horizontal rung that broke, you will have to remove the U-Shaped section. Remember to see if your ladder is getting loose. If it is, you will have to remove the horizontal brackets and tighten the covered screw to the star washer inside the tube. If the star washer is broken, you can now get replacements. They only became available recently. About $5 each. You can also ask the dealer if they have a discarded ladder in the back you can have or get pieces from. Sometimes you get lucky if you ask, I have. Hope this helps.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
otnoel521
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10179
Thanks to all who provided input on handling the repair of my ladder. I appreciate the help on tackling the repairs. I successfully removed the U-shaped section from the rung that was in need of repair. I will be going to a local RV dealer tomorrow with the parts in hand that need to be replaced. Hopefully they will have on hand what I need on hand or can obtain the parts. I'll keep you posted. I appreciate the help and now I feel like, I can do this on my own. I think my husband would be proud of me as he looks down from heaven. Thanks again for the tips.
otnoel521 is offline   Reply With Quote