Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Montana_1974

M.O.C. #1974
Batteries & ON - OFF switch

2004, 3295RK. Got rid of the one 12v battery, went to 2-6v in series & installed a marine grade "ON/OFF" switch. Without the on/off switch the batteries would drain out in two wks of storage.

Montana_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am seriously considering the twin six volt system. Did you put in a new vented box? Are there different grades of "Golfcart" batteries? If you are willing, approximate cost of conversion? I have seen several cut-off switches, from rotation to bar disconnect at boat shops. What type did you use? Your posting and help is appreciated.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Stiles: I use the same type of cut-off switch that I use on the sailboat. It has positions for Battery 1, Battery 2, Both and Off. Is is about 3" dia. and an orangy red in colour. It is sold at West Marine.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 AM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Question???
We have master switches on our fire apparatus, we hook up shore power to a seperate charging system to keep the batteries up.
My understanding on the 5th wheel, is that the 110 power, runs the 110 volt items and converts down to 12 volt that runs your 12 volt lights and acc. and charges your batteries.
So, if you are turning off your batteries with a master switch, how are you charging them when hooked up to shore power????
Just a question

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:55 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First and foremost, Sark and Carlson welcome to the MOC.

They are using the battery disconnect switch while the rig is in storage and not connected to any shore power. This prevents the batteries from being discharged by such things as the gas detector etc.

As far as the type switch the simple bar or knife switch is all that is required. The type that Bill and Ann describe are good but far more expensive than the simple knife switch.
They are available at most auto parts stores or Camping World.
Battery Safety Switch
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:02 AM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We also have the 2 x 6V golf cart batteries in series. I have the same marine switch as well. With our old TT we had a key-type switch which disconnected the positive side of the batteries and completely shut off everything for storage. With the Monty, the marine switch was installed so that the CO and propane detectors still work. Our dealer says that they are required to do it that way for safety reasons. He says that the drain from the detectors is minimal, I know better from the previous rig. Luckily, we've been able to go out with Monty every 3-4 weeks so there's not enough lapsed time to drain the batteries. Also, we're lucky enough to have a power source in the yard we store the rig and they don't mind our hooking up to keep the batteries charged.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:47 AM   #7
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
Bill, do your 6v-golf chart type batteries have the same "foot print" as the originals? Did you have to get new bat. boxes? What type of maintenance is required?
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
John,
Yes, the 6V have the same footprint, but are a little taller. They'll fit in a std. battery box. Maintenance is the same as an equivalent type in 12V, depends on whether they're sealed or not. The twin 6s last so much longer than the 12s do.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
T and J
Established Member

M.O.C. #806
Hi Guys!
Just a quick note on the battery switchs, if you use the knife or blade style switchs remember to ALWAYS VENTILATE THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT BEFORE OPENING OR CLOSING THE SWITCH! That is unless you like wearing battery acid! I have worked with and sold batteries for most of my adult life and have blown up 3 or 4 along the way. Lead acid batteries give off Hydrogen gas and the knife style switchs are right on top of the battery and prone to arc when used so the combination is similar to lighting a match in a small room full of gasoline fumes with the added fun of flying battery case pieces and acid!
J C Whitney lists "Master Cutoff Switchs" on the same page as the knife style for about the same price, these are enclosed and more importantly can be mounted away from the battery.
I have been thinking about a switch also and will go with the Master Cutoff style probably in the basement compartment and sealed where the cables come through the compartment wall! Please be careful out there. I hate funerals! Terry
T and J is offline   Reply With Quote